Wednesday, January 27, 2016

January 27 – “Missed it”

I think there might be more than just a few of us who call Galveston Island home who would agree that we are done with the cold weather.  Forty-four with a wind chill of thirty-nine is what greeted us this morning.  Does not inspire a grand desire to leap from beneath the covers and attack the day.  In fact, we didn’t.  Stayed in bed until eight o’clock.  Now that hasn’t happened in a long time.  But all warm things must come to an end, so here I am, warm and cozy once again in my flannel shirt and blue jeans, hard at work in front of the computer. 

We realized something yesterday.  We missed a retirement event that I for one had been really looking forward to.  Saturday was when we were recuperating from our all-night binge of grandparenting on the road to pick up the boys while their baby sister got facial stitches in the emergency room.  Then we had to get up early the next morning for another grandparently appearance at a football game (which Jachin’s team won, by the way).  I dozed off and on that afternoon while “watching” college basketball, and Chris just flat out went to bed.  She roused up around 5 or so, but we just ate a quick supper and crashed out again on the sofa.  I think we were in bed again around eight.  And I honestly never thought about the retirement gala.  We are just not night owls any longer.  I still hate that we missed the event.  I feel really bad about it.  That makes us one of “those people” who say they are coming and then just don’t show up and never call to cancel.  We sent them a card with our best wishes.  Hope they will forgive us. 

1 John 2:1 says, “My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense — Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.”


Father, walk with Tommy into his next stage of existence, retirement.  Grant him plenty of things to do and plenty of time to do them.  Oh, and especially grant Trish plenty of patience.  I hear that’s important.  Amen.

No comments: