Monday, January 18, 2016

January 18 – “One order at a time”

We ordered pizza the other day.  I know.  Not that unusual an event, especially when we have grandkids around.  But after wading through the ordeal of making all our selections from the online menu and making sure I hit the right button for special deals, the final page came up where you pull the trigger and actually make the purchase.  Everything looked correct, so I went for it.  Then the very last screen appears to let us know our “hot and fresh pizza is on its way.”  All fine and dandy.  Even received the instantly generated email to my account letting me know the cost to be applied to my credit card.  But then I just happened to notice something in the fine print.  Down where it says “Estimated time of arrival” I saw something that caused me to do a double take.  “Ninety-four to one hundred and four minutes.”  Yep.  The window for delivery was an hour and half or more.  Fresh pizza, indeed. 

I just couldn’t see waiting that long.  After all the grandkids were on their way.  So I called the local store to see what was going on.  I was nice.  First I verified that I was reading the notice correctly.  Did it really say 94-104 minutes?  “Yes, it did.”  No further explanation was forthcoming, so I added, “I just wondered why the delivery was going to take so long.  It has never been longer than 30 or 40 minutes.”  At that point one very frustrated manager unloaded on me.  Not angrily, mind you.  But there was just a hint of desperation in her voice.  Seems only one driver had showed up for work.  They were in the middle of their lunch rush, and all deliveries were backed up by almost an hour.  Doing my best to keep my voice calm so she would remain calm herself, I asked how long would it take if I just came in and picked up the pizza.  Her entire demeanor changed (as much as you can discern such things over the phone).  She hesitated a second and then replied, “Twenty minutes.”  As cheerfully as I could muster, I responded with a hearty, “That will be great, then.  I’ll see you in twenty minutes.”  She stumbled a bit for words, and finally managed “Well, OK.  I’ll see you then.” 

Always happy to relieve stress in the world one pizza order at a time.

2 Peter 1:5-7 says, “For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love.”


Father, grant that manager a little easier shift next time she works.  And bring some of your peace into her life.  Amen.

No comments: