Tuesday, July 9, 2013

July 9 – “Connected by fire”


I just have some random stuff today.  Not connected at all, but perhaps interesting.  Maybe I can figure out a way to tie them together.  That’ll be a challenge.

For instance, at Nathan’s birthday party the other day one of the fire fighters told me that they had all gotten together and were offering to pitch in and get me a tattoo like the one they have.  He showed me his on his calf.  That was one I hesitated on right away, so he followed up with, “The one we’re getting you will cover your whole back.”  Uh … right.  That’s just not happening.  I came clean with him right away.  Figured it was best to admit it.  You know, the whole honesty thing.  I confessed that I was just too much of a wimp.  If I had a tattoo like that I might be inspired to run into burning buildings with them, and they certainly didn’t want another old guy to have to rescue.  I’ll wait outside and pray for their safety, and we can talk about it back at the station over a cup of coffee. 

Cailyn was over yesterday.  While Chris was taking a nap she came into my office, plopped herself down in one of the rocking chairs and asked, “DadDad, do you want to talk?”  Now how do you say no to a request like that from a four-year-old?  Of course I wanted to talk.  I asked, “What can we talk about?”  She furrowed her brow for a long moment.  Her lips pursed out as she concentrated deeply.  She actually even rubbed her chin with her fingers in the classic “Thinker” pose.  She must have seen that in one of her adopted uncles in the fire department.  Probably Uncle Andy.  He’s a deep thinker.  And he has a lot of tattoos.  There.  How’s that for a connection to the previous story?  She finally came up with an idea.  “Let’s talk about names for the baby in Aunt Christi’s tummy.”  All right.  I’m sure Josh and Christi would be happy to have some more ideas to go along with Zak’s “Joseph” and Caleb’s insistence on going all the way to the top – “Jesus.”  Her recommendation?  “Crystal.”  I told her I had only known girls with that name, but she assured me it would be fine for a boy.  There you go, Josh and Christi.  Your worries are over.  The name has been decided.  Crystal Joseph Adam Grayson Luke Jesus Vaughan. 

A while back on my morning walk I noticed that the fire chief’s truck was parked in front of a house in the neighborhood.  That was intriguing.  There didn’t appear to be any fires in process, so that was a relief.  I continued on, and the next time around the acting chief was there in the garage of the house talking to some folks.  He saw me and came out to talk.  He told me he was moving into that house shortly.  How about that?  I know of three other fire fighters in our neighborhood already, and if you count Pine Street there is at least one more.  Sounds like we’re gonna have a pretty safe neighborhood, at least as far as fires go. 

Psalms 99:1 says, “The Lord reigns, let the nations tremble; he sits enthroned between the cherubim, let the earth shake.”

Father, thanks again for giving me the chance to be a minister in the fire department community.  Take care of those guys.  Amen.

No comments: