Saturday, July 6, 2013

July 6 – “Visitors”

Josh and Christi and their boys arrived last night while I was at a wedding rehearsal.  The rehearsal, by the way, went really well.  Any time I am told that I don’t have to wear a suit to do a wedding, I am happy.  This one will be quite a small affair.  Not even a best man or maid of honor.  In fact the couple is already married.  It’s a military situation.  He was deployed, so they went to a justice of the peace.  Now they want to do it again and ask God to show up this time.  The couple is stationed in Fort Bragg now, and their families are in Texarkana.  They seem to appreciate the island laid back style of doing everything, so I should fit in really well. 

When I got home I made my entrance by hollering as I entered the front door.  Something like, “Who owns that car parked in front of our house?  What’s going on in here, anyway?”  That brought on the Attack of the Alamo Avengers.  In the first wave, Zakary hit the ground running and smacked into me as I turned around in the study.  Wave two came from Caleb as I headed down the hall.  That one I was prepared for, so he got a trip to the realms near the ceiling in response to his charge.  Of course they were already hard at work on a Lego battleground.  Caleb immediately wanted me to be involved in whatever the scenario was they had arranged, but I was having a hard time understanding him, between his excitement and my aged ears.  With Christi’s help I did finally get something about acting out the battle they had set up.  By the time I managed to creak on down to the floor, though, he had moved on to telling me about the different things he had built.  We never did get around to having the battle.  Maybe that’s why older people make good negotiators.  By the time they get through making allowances for their personal deficits, all the youngsters have time for is bragging about their capabilities before it is suddenly time to go get some pizza.  Sounds like a good plan for keeping anyone from getting hurt.  Let’s send that one to world leaders. 

I was invited to join Josh and Zak on the pizza run to Little Caesar’s.  Apparently Caleb had discovered a chink in his army at some point and wanted to stick around and fine-tuner his plan for world domination.  It was a fun trip.  I enjoyed listening to the interchanges between the two of them as they caught up after being apart for a week.  Zak has quite the way with words, and he listens to everything.  That’s going to be a dangerous … er … helpful combination in the years to come.  I held the door open at the pizza place for a young lady just leaving who looked familiar to me, but I had no name for her available in the bucket.  She commented on my hat, and I knew immediately she had some connection to the fire department.  And then she identified me as Nathan’s Dad.  Yep. There it was.  Still no name, but I did remember where I had met her.  Sadly, I still can’t remember her name.  Sorry about that.  I am trying.  Please tell me again and again who you are.  Assume I’m just one of those old dudes who can’t remember things that happened just yesterday because, well, I am one. 

Shortly after we returned home, Ryan Dennis and his three boys came over.  Ryan was in the youth group when we lived in Denver.  They live in Oklahoma now, and were on a family vacation trip to see NASA and go to the beach.  His boys are great.  They are all under 5 years old, so you never know what will happen next with them around.  The youngest one was shy at first, but it didn’t take long for all of them to jump right in and play with our stash of toys.  The Legos were of course a crowd favorite, but it always amazes me how kids are drawn to the remnants of yesteryear we have available.  The toys that belonged to our boys when they were little were all stored in our attic, and as result survived the flood.  They are now quite popular.  Last night’s favorite was a toy bugle we have had forever.  With it we were entertained by marching bands and even soloist performances.  Ryan once leapt to prevent a blast directed right at the back of Mom’s head.  I stopped Ryan and reassured him that she probably wasn’t hearing anything anyway.  Just a bit of old age/losing hearing humor that those of us experiencing such things can share in. 

It was a fun evening, even down to the other visitors who showed up at our front door.  As Ryan and the boys were leaving, two beautiful golden retrievers were standing at our front door, peering inside.  Kind of disconcerting at first, but I checked the collar on one of them.  Chloe from Austin.  She was almost a mirror image of the other one, who belonged to one of our neighbors.  We did our best to direct them back to the house across the street, but to no avail.  I’m sure they will be fine, though, as long as Chloe doesn’t attempt a return trip to Austin. 

Today we head to Kel’s for a Micah birthday party before Josh and his crew head back to San Antonio.  Gotta love these non-stop Vaughan festivities.

Psalms 98:2-3 says, “The Lord has made his salvation known and revealed his righteousness to the nations.  He has remembered his love and his faithfulness to the house of Israel; all the ends of the earth have seen the salvation of our God.”

Father, keep the Ryan and Josh families safe as they do their traveling this weekend.  Help all those boys grow to love you.  Amen.

No comments: