Wednesday, July 3, 2013

July 3 – “Happy birthday, Nathan”

Yep, today is the 28th birthday of our youngest son.  Pretty hard to pretend you’re not kind of old when that sort of thing occurs.  Of course it helps when you have to pull out the old pictures to help you remember anything that happened from that era.  Better than pulling out history books, I guess.  That’s what our kids have to do to see what it was like growing up for us.  Reminds me of an Ocean Spray cranapple juice commercial I saw last night.  Two guys dressed in patriotic costumes, circa Revolutionary War, one much older than the other.  The younger one is obviously uncomfortable with the getup.  Finally he says, “This stuff is really itchy.  How did you manage to wear it all the time when you were growing up?”  The older guy was not amused.  I thought it pretty funny stuff until I realized that I was that older guy.  Sigh.  I guess leisure suits never will come back, will they?  Oh, well. 

Nathan has certainly added much – how shall I say it? – “spice” to our lives over the years.  Basketball, soccer, roller blading off the roof of the house (Three times.  He wasn’t satisfied with the first two.  The scary part, though, was him climbing back up the ladder in those skates.  What?  Oh, yeah.  We watched.  I filmed it and his RN mother stood by in case he broke something and we had to take him to the hospital.  Pretty impressive, actually …), jet skis, piercings, tattoos.  Wait.  That’s not all.  Let me add as well … introduction into the world of fire fighting, living through Hurricane Ike together, and of course there is April.  I never had a sister or a daughter, so I was more than excited to have one of those creatures.  And the best for last … our first granddaughter Cailyn.  I would say he did a masterful job on those last two, in particular. 

Happy birthday, Son.

Proverbs 6:20-22 says, “My son, keep your father's commands and do not forsake your mother's teaching.  Bind them upon your heart forever; fasten them around your neck.  When you walk, they will guide you; when you sleep, they will watch over you; when you awake, they will speak to you.”

Father, watch over all three of my sons.  Bring them safety, success, happiness, and most of all your peace that passes all understanding.  Amen.

No comments: