Wednesday, July 10, 2013

July 10 – “A day in the life …”


After spending most of the morning working on the teaching for Sunday, I started on my trek around the island.  Began with an elders’ meeting out at Seaside.  Helped me get a handle on some of the issues that have arisen with the church’s land that we have leased out to folks to use for their horse riding facility.  Seems that there has been some kind of border dispute with cattle owners on one side and an RV park on the other.  Sounds like an episode of Bonanza or Rawhide.  How’s that for dating myself?  We are scheduled to have a conference with our lawyer about it later this morning.  I sure hope we can get it all cleared up.  I just want to be able to speak the truth when I’m asked about the situation. 

After the meeting I went upstairs to have lunch with the group from central Texas that is staying in the retreat center.  They are led by the guy who brought his family down after Hurricane Ike and helped us work on our house.  He was the infamous Tarzan impersonator.  (Movie reference number two)  Not for his blood-curdling yell or his relationships with monkeys.  He strapped harnesses on himself and trimmed up a lot of the dead trees around our house.  His wife held onto his safety rope for dear life (his), and his kids swept our deck and picked up leaves and things outside.  Great family.  I didn’t get to see Ferrel this time, though.  His ministry group was late getting back from their site.  But I did get to see the rest of the family and meet some of the other folks. 

From there I headed back to the other end of the island to the hospital.  The husband of one of the wedding coordinators (Aren’t there some movies about wedding coordinators out there on the Lifetime channel?)  I work with extensively at the San Luis Hotel has been hospitalized since May with severe pancreatitis.  She finally told me about it this past weekend.  They have been to Seaside as well, so as far as I’m concerned, they are “one of us.”  He was in pretty bad shape, but looks like he is on the positive side of his recovery.  He has advanced to the physical therapy part, and he has a long way to go to regain muscle tone.  He seemed grateful that I came, and he was more than willing for me to pray for him. 

My next stop was fire station one.  (Now I know there are some fire department TV shows.  We watched one last season that Nathan made fun of)  The engine was out on a call when I got there, so I went up to see the chief and his administrative assistant.  The chief signed me into their system for viewing calls that come into the department.  It involved getting an app for my phone and him assigning me an entry code.  He also told me about an app that would give me a thirty second delayed replay of the actual dispatch call.  Now I have a way to determine if I can make it to some of the calls and see the fire fighters in action.  I’m looking forward to that.  He also approved me to do ride-alongs with the crews pretty much whenever I want.  All I have to do is notify his office so they can notify the battalion chief and captains.  Still no word on my uniform, though.  That is sure taking a long time.  I was fitted on April 16th.  I think I would switch companies or something. I did get to see the guys on shift.  They returned from the call before I left. 

My final destination was supposed to be Randall’s to pick up some prescriptions for Mom.  But I forgot to go. Well, I remembered as I pulled into the driveway, so I poked my head inside to let Chris know where I was going and made that quick trip.  While I was out I decided to stop at WalMart and get some fruit and some chocolate milk.  Fruit was no problem, but sold out of chocolate milk.  This time when I pulled into the driveway I realized that I had left my daytimer calendar book in the cart when I unloaded.  So it was back out again.  It was right where I left it in the cart in one of those cart-catchers in the parking lot.  By the time I got home I was beat.  (This episode felt more like I was living in a goofy, slapstick sit-com.  All that was missing was Moe or Curly slapping me upside the head).  Sigh.  Ain’t life in the ministry grand?

Psalms 99:2-3 says, “Great is the Lord in Zion; he is exalted over all the nations.  Let them praise your great and awesome name — he is holy.”

Father, thank you for adding a touch of the great and awesome in the midst of my mundane days.  Amen.

No comments: