Monday, July 15, 2013

July 15 – “Wonder eyes”

We had a great time this weekend catching up with some old friends from our Arlington days.  They were in town to get on one the big boats.  Yep, they were heading on a cruise to the Bahamas.  Not that we did anything special.  All we did was sit around and talk.  But sometimes those are the best times.  Mike is a really quiet kind of guy, and his wife Pat is … well … not.  Between the two of them, they are so much fun to be around.  Pat always has something to say on just about any subject.  And Mike’s occasional interjections into her commentaries are most often hilarious.  We had a chance to see their two kids grow through a big portion of their early years, so it was especially fun to hear about their exploits as adults and how they are dealing with kids of their own.  Always a fun topic for grandparent-types.  Can’t beat the whole “You’re getting what you deserve for the myriad things you did while you were growing up that caused us such great torment and worry” gloat.  Hey … we earned it.

I decided to get in a little fishing Sunday afternoon.  The water had been perfect for it on my way to church that morning, but it was already beginning to church up by the time I could get out there.  It was cloudy and actually kind of cool, so that part was pleasant.  It got choppy quickly, though, so it became one of those “get beat up” kind of days.  I didn’t get live bait.  Decided to use up some of the dead shrimp we have in the freezer.  I was hoping for some whiting or maybe an errant red fish.  I did get a few whiting and even three black drum (same family as red fish, but these were pretty small).  It was a banner day for catfish, though.  Hardhead catfish.  Nasty bottom-dwellers.  They are good for two things.  If they’re big enough, they can make for some fun reeling them in.  Otherwise they have to die and have their skin picked clean by crabs and then sit in the sun for days and days so the bones get bleached out.  Then they have some value.  See, their bones form the perfect shape of a crucifix – Jesus on the cross.  And when you shake the dried out bones, you can hear the rattle of the dice used by the soldiers as they cast lots for Jesus’ clothing.    All in all it makes for a great object lesson.  Out of the evil, bottom-dwelling, bait stealing scavenger comes the ultimate symbol of victory.  Nice. 

I guess I’m more than a little bitter today.  One of them got me.  You always have to be careful of their three fins.  Sharp as tacks and when you get pierced, they sting and swell up and hurt for hours.  This time it was one of the biggest ones I hooked.  He was clinging to the hook for all he was worth.  Anything to make it difficult.  About the time I thought I had him lined up for another go at it, a wave hit me and he started his alligator-esque spinning.  One of his side fins found its way into my wrist.  Way into my wrist.  Enough that I had to grab him and pull him out.  Not the kind of surgery I particularly enjoy performing.  The throbbing started almost immediately, so I decided right then it was time to go home.  I almost turned loose the fish I had caught, but it was too much trouble.  As it turned out, I was glad I kept them.  Not because they will make some good fillets, but there was a little boy, about three years old, on the shore.  He was less that happy that his time at the beach was drawing to a close.  So in a valiant effort at distraction, his Mom asked if he could see the fishies.  Well, of course.  Nothing quite like watching the eyes of a three year old light up.  Can’t say I’ve reached the point where the eyes are all that I remember from the experience – my wrist is still a bit swollen.  But I’ll get there.  One day soon this will be a real Romans 8:28 experience.  At least for the little boy.

Romans 8:28 says, “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”

Father, thank you for the wonder-eyes of little boys seeing real live fishies.  Give me wonder-eyes at the things you are doing all around me  Amen.

No comments: