Sunday, July 28, 2013

July 28 – “Happy Anniversary, Seaside”

Today’s entry will be a short one.  I have to be at the softball fields at the airport before 8:00.  I have been asked to say a prayer before the benefit tournament for one of the fire fighter families begins.  It will be the culmination of a weekend of events designed to help out this young couple.  Friday night the fire fighters held a benefit barbeque and silent auction that seemed to go well.  Barbecue chicken, rice and beans.  Bouncy house for the kids.  The food was great and there were lots of items up for bid.  I haven’t heard yet how much they received, but I know any amount will be greatly appreciated.  This particular family is a little closer than most because Mom and Dad both went to Seaside as teenagers.  That makes them twice family.  They had a premature little baby girl with multiple problems, so their medical bills are already pretty high and promise to continue as she grows and needs different surgeries.  So, when you combine Seasiders with fire fighters and there is also baseball involved, I gotta be there.

Today is also the seventeenth anniversary of Seaside’s constitution as a church.  We are not doing any kind of big celebration or anything.  In fact I’m probably the only one who remembers things like that around Seaside.  Although I did put Happy Anniversary on our sign last week.  I’m doing a business-type report about the state of the church, so I just put together a little booklet to package the information in.  The booklet has a bunch of pictures from Seaside’s past as well.  My favorite page has pictures of some of our college students as they look now and back when they were five or six.  Should be lots of fun.

Psalms 103:8 says, “The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love.”

Father, thank you for your patience.  Amen.

No comments: