Sunday, July 21, 2013

July 21 – “Agricultural and electronic progress”

Well, the rains have come.  The last few hours, including much of the night last night, have been intermittently punctuated by thunderstorms and pretty heavy downpours.  I even checked the radar.  Looks like we’re in for a few more hours before they rain themselves out.  Unless, of course, some more form out over the Gulf.  And of course rain could mean anything when it comes to church attendance.  Some folks will come because it's too nasty to go to the beach.  Others will just stay at home because it's too nasty to go anywhere.  And today is the day the students who went to camp get to share their experience.  Oh, well.  At least it makes me glad to be extremely sore today. 

I know, that was a stretch.  But we did mow and work in the yard yesterday, so I am really sore this morning.  Chris told me that eating bananas will help stave off attacks of leg cramps in the middle of the night, so I’m munching on one now.  I figure she has a vested interest in keeping my leg cramps at bay.  She’s the one who gets abruptly awakened when I jump. It’s just good to know we got all the work in before the rain.  Now the grass can soak it up and start all over again.  Ah, the life of an urban grass farmer. 

I finished all the scanning of our photo albums yesterday.  1975 through today.  That’s a really long time.  Thirty-eight years of married life.  And it has sure trumped the almost twenty-two years before that.  I’m not going into what happens when you add those two numbers together, though.  Not until August, at least.  The middle of August.  So we now have untold number of duly digitized jpegs safely stashed away on an external hard drive.  Now we just have to remember to grab it when we have to evacuate for a storm and hope that the technology continues to be available to access it.  I know, I know.  The latest thing is to put it up in the clouds somewhere.  I guess some day we’ll be forced to do that.  We did, after all, have to abandon our floppy discs that were actually floppy back in the day. 

The next electronics project in line is to get back to turning our old VHS tapes into digital creations and storing them on DVDs.  We have a problem there, though.  The VHS player I was using finally conked out.  It would mysteriously turn itself on at random times.  I think it had been commandeered by alien beings and was secretly sucking away at the life force of any human who sat within five feet of it.  I have felt better since I disconnected it.  I hope WalMart still sells those players.  I have a stack of tapes left to go. 

Psalms 102:12 says, “But you, O Lord, sit enthroned forever; your renown endures through all generations.”

Father, show your glory at church today.  Help the students communicate the excitement they felt at camp.  Amen.

No comments: