Thursday, July 25, 2013

July 25 – “Battle of the Baristas”

Mom’s trip to the doctor proved to be a fairly simple experience.  The hardest part was filling in all the paperwork to keep her file “updated.”  The doc said the different things we were questioning – even the nosebleeds – could probably be attributed to different aspects of the aging process, but of course we should watch the nosebleeds so she doesn’t end up anemic.  I guess that was encouraging.  I did get tickled when he found out Mom’s internist here in Galveston had stopped two of the meds he had started her on.  He wanted to know the reason behind it.  I couldn’t think of anything in particular, so I jokingly said, “It’s because she’s a witch doctor.”  Chris punched me.  The doc didn’t laugh, though.  He just wanted to know the name so, “I don’t ever refer anyone.”  OK.  Moving right along, then.  He restarted the medication, almost as if to say, “I dare you to stop it one more time.”  It’s kind of fun to watch a Battle of the Baristas of medicine.  It’s not so fun, though, when the battleground is Mom. 

We got home in time for me to join Nathan and Cailyn for a trip to Angleton.  They found a used car at a lot there that matched perfectly their budget and desires.  It was even white, the perfect color for displaying dirt.  That was Cailyn’s special request, although I’m surprised she didn’t say pink.  I think it’s called a Flex. And it’s pretty much Ford’s answer to the minivan without having the stigma of being called a minivan (which it really is.  Sorry, April.  You’re a Minivan Mom now, a real Soccer Momma).  The seats in the rear even fold over backwards so you can have a comfortable seat with the tailgate open to watch your kid play.  It does have a lot of bells and whistles, though.  Nathan even called me through his hands free device on the way home.  Oh, did I mention that Cailyn chose to ride home with me?  Yep.  Good Old DadDad still outranked “Mommy’s new car.”  It was a great ride, too.  The first thing she said when we drove off was, “I don’t like the music on.”  For all you guys out there, that’s female language for, “Turn off the radio.”  Ah, how young they learn to talk that way.  And of course the reason she wanted the radio off was so she would have no competition.  She started talking and didn’t stop until we parked in Galveston.  Gotta love that girl.

Psalms 103:1 says, “Praise the Lord, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name.”

Father, thank you for riding with us to Houston and to Angleton.  I appreciate your protection.  Amen.

No comments: