Sunday, June 3, 2012

June 3 – “Chicken noodle soup”

 
 
So I guess we have firmly established that being sick is no fun.  Even the aftermath is pretty tough.  You know, that weak, frail feeling you get when you realize that there is just no energy left in the pot.  You have drained it all to make it that one last time to the bathroom.  And now that the stomach issues seem to be all cleared up, you still are hesitant to start eating, for fear of the whole thing starting up again.  I started back with chicken noodle soup.  That was always the staple for sick-o recovery when I was a kid.  In fact it took years before I could eat the stuff as just a regular meal.  I wasn't sick.  I didn't need it.  It was as if eating it at any other time would ruin its effectiveness when the chips were down.  Chris finally convinced me that it would be OK.  The world wouldn't come to an end.  The miracle healing powers wouldn't somehow disappear.  In fact wouldn't they still be miraculous if I was already healthy?  Maybe they would give me super powers.  Actually, Chris didn't really say that.  I was just caught up in the spirit of the thing.  I did start eating chicken noodle soup on healthy days, though.  It goes well with a grilled cheese sandwich.  You just dip the sandwich into the soup and mingle all that miracle juice and melted cheese.  Kind of like dipping an oreo cookie into a glass of orange juice.  Thought I was going to say milk, didn't you?  I never have been one to follow convention.  Try it sometime.  Oreos and orange juice.  Just sounds like a winner.  Maybe when my stomach has had a few days more to settle down.
 
1 John 5:11-12 says, "And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life."
 
Father, thank you for little miracles like chicken noodle soup when I'm sick.  Amen.

No comments: