Thursday, June 14, 2012

June 14 – “Sumo mishap”

 
 
We had an interesting day with Mom yesterday.  She agreed to go to Libbie's Place.  That was a good thing.  She hasn't done the out and out rebellion against it like she did back when she was having those medication issues.  In fact she seems to really enjoy it now when she goes.  When I picked her up, though, she tried to buckle her seat belt … onto her sweater button.  I helped her get it done correctly, but as I looked closely at it, I could see why she made the mistake.  Her button was just about the right size to fit into the hole in the seal belt clip.  And the button was the first thing she came across on her way across her lap.  Made sense to me.  Think I'll remember that one.  I could probably use it someday.
 
Last night as I drove to church I got a text from Chris.  Apparently Mom got kind of upset that I left without her.  Not that she wanted to go to youth group with me.  She was thinking that I was going to take her home.  That's been a tough one to deal with lately.  She walks over to the front door and looks longingly at the house across the street where she used to live.  I think we need to become friends with the folks who live over there now in case she decides to pop in for a visit sometime.  She is doing really well physically, though. 
 
We had a bit of a crisis at the church the other night.  Not with anybody from Seaside.  One of the youth groups that is staying in our building for a mission trip had a mishap.  They rented some of those huge padded sumo wrestler costumes that you crawl inside of and bounce off of each other.  One of the girls was wearing one and she got bumped, just as was intended.  The problem came when she lost her balance and flew backwards.  The helmet she had on fell off, and her head cracked against the tile floor, just off the padded matt.  They rushed her to the hospital in an ambulance, and she stayed in ICU overnight for observation.  Her family rushed to Galveston to be with her, but had some trouble getting here.  Something about traffic coming onto the island.  The final diagnosis was a slight fracture and of course a concussion.  She is fine, but they have warned her to take it easy for a long time.  No more wrestling, sumo or otherwise, in her future.  I imagine that's all right by her. 
 
Psalms 3:3-4 says, "But you are a shield around me, O Lord; you bestow glory on me and lift up my head.  To the Lord I cry aloud, and he answers me from his holy hill."
 
Father, watch over that girl in the hospital.  Bring her healing quickly.  And show her youth group how to rally around her with encouragement.  Amen.

No comments: