Tuesday, June 12, 2012

June 12 – “Recurring theme”

 
 
We had a great surprise visit yesterday from a guy who used to live next door to us.  We haven't seen James since not long after Hurricane Ike.  He's now driving a truck professionally, and he told u she prefers to deliver up North.  Something silly about it being cooler up there in the summer time.  He mentioned something about low humidity, whatever that is.  Of course when he showed us the picture of his car buried in three or four feet of snow, all that pipe dreaming about humidity came into clearer focus. 
 
Speaking of humidity, I spent some time cleaning up one of the antique student desks we have laying around.  It went through Hurricane Ike, so it has a lot of rust on it.  I guess I'll have to try out some of the anti-rust remedies I heard about the last time I attempted something like this.  We're waiting to see if josh and Christi want to use them or if they will end up in our big church-wide garage sale this weekend.  That would be Saturday, by the way.  Come buy stuff and help our youth get to camp.
 
We went to lunch with Nathan and April and Cailyn.  Very nice.  Not just because we were at Shrimp and Stuff, either.  We occasionally get together with them for no particular reason.  Kind of calls to mind the days when we lived together after Hurricane Ike.  I just realized there has been a recurring theme of Ike-mentioning throughout these few paragraphs.  Not that I'm nostalgic or anything.  But it is hurricane season again.  Guess I'll have to start paying closer attention to the Tropics.  Again.  Welcome to Galveston.
 
And in the spirit of the theme, Hurricane Cailyn spent the night with us last night.  Not that she was wild or anything.  Of course she is perfect when she stays with us.  Why would I admit to anything less?  All of our grandkids are perfect when they are with us.  How could they be anything less?  Makes it a lot easier to share with them my all-time favorite DadDad reply when they ask for something.  Yes.  No, I'm not daydreaming, looking into the nothingness that surrounds me with glazed-over eyes.  Well, I may be doing a little bit of that.  It is. After all, not yet six in the morning.  I just meant that is my favorite answer … Yes. 
 
2 Corinthians 1:19-20 says, "For the Son of God, Jesus Christ, who was preached among you by me and Silas and Timothy, was not 'Yes' and 'No,' but in him it has always been 'Yes.' For no matter how many promises God has made, they are 'Yes' in Christ. And so through him the 'Amen' is spoken by us to the glory of God."
 
Father, your yes is so much more satisfying than mine.  Help our little ones seek yours.  Amen.

No comments: