Wednesday, June 20, 2012

June 20 – “Preparation frenzy”

 
 
Chris went to Bay City again yesterday.  The life of an after-the-fact executor has little rest.  She had to pick up some more papers for the lawyer.  She did have a bit of an adventure while there, though.  She found herself at the court house, standing under a sign that said, "Birth certificates."  Thinking, "well, since I'm here …" she decided to ask if they had a copy of her original birth certificate.  She was hoping to see what her original name really was.  The one she has a copy of reflects her adoption and name change, which as far as she has been told, took place when she was entering school around five or six years old.  As adventure would have it, they couldn't find any record of her in the system.  To see if she really exists she would have to get a judge to open up any adoption records.  In the meantime, I suppose I will still be married to this mysterious woman who stole my heart and bore my children.  Sounds good to me.
 
While she was gone I stayed home with Mom to get some work done.  We leave for a wedding in Jacksonville on Friday.  On Saturday we leave there to pick up our niece Taylor so she can go to camp with us on Sunday.  That just leaves a today and tomorrow to get everything ready.  Mix into that preparation frenzy a meeting I have this afternoon, a memorial service I have at Seaside on Thursday morning, and all the camp prep stuff, along with several counseling sessions I have already had, and you get quite a recipe for a full week.
 
I did run get a haircut while Chris was gone.  That is a must for the week before camp.  It was an unusual visit.  I was the only client with two barbers – or whatever they call themselves now.  They know that I am a pastor, so they took advantage of my "captured" attention and asked every question they could think of about life after death and how they should respond to people who are dying.  It was a fascinating time for me.  Hope they heard some of the message I tried to communicate about a personal relationship with Jesus.
 
I also got the student desk sanded and even partly painted.  I would have finished, but I had to stop several times as waves of thunderstorms blew through.  It was just enough to remind me that this is the end of June in Galveston.  Hurricane season.  We already have several low pressure systems in the Gulf of Mexico.  Figures.  Just as we are leaving for New Mexico, sounds like there may be some excitement here.  We could do without that kind of excitement, thank you very much.
 
Psalms 4:6-8 says, "Many are asking, 'Who can show us any good?'  Let the light of your face shine upon us, O Lord.  You have filled my heart with greater joy than when their grain and new wine abound.  I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety."
 
Father, walk with me through all this preparation stuff.  It's always easier when I know I'm not alone.  Amen.

No comments: