Friday, June 1, 2012

June 1 – “Hurricane season”

 
 
Ah.  June first in Galveston.  Dog days of summer are beginning.  Actually summer in Galveston begins as soon as the weather is nice enough for tourists to want to go to the beach.  That means it's been summer for several weeks now.  Baseball is well underway and the Astros are well under .500.  Don't give up on them yet, though.  They are young, and many of the games they are losing are only by a run or two.  I've been fishing a time or two, and the water is nice and warm.  Which leads to the other big announcement about June.  It's hurricane season.  From now until November we watch the waters of the Gulf to see if there is any sign of those threatening monsters.  We've already had a few named this year over in the Atlantic.  I think we are on the C's.  The communities around here have scheduled their hurricane preparedness seminars for all the newcomers to hear horror stories and learn how to make their evacuation list.  Can't say I look forward to another one of those.
 
On a similar note, I went to the next graduation in my collection of events to attend this year.  Ball High School.  The Tornadoes.  My old alma mater.  That first graduation I went to had less than twenty grads.  This one was well over three hundred.  Still not nearly as many as we had when I went.  More like a thousand back then.  Ah, the glory days.  Seaside had several kids in this one.  Cheyenne, Elissa, Melissa,  Peyton, Carly, John.  Wow.  Just realized we only had one guy.  One of my old teachers received a new award they gave in memory of the 126th graduating class.  Mrs. Marchand was my junior high school English teacher.  She taught me how to diagram a sentence and even to like it.  So I guess it's partly her fault that our boys had to do a lot of diagramming when we homeschooled them.  I'd rather look at it as she gave us the help we all needed to get through the curriculum.  At the last few graduations I have been to for Ball High, the spectators have been incredibly rude.  The noise level stayed up the entire time.  They did much better this year.  Everyone I could see even took off caps for the National Anthem.  Now when it got towards the end and we had been there a few hours, the natives began to get restless.  And when the last graduate was called, a mass exodus began.  As a result many missed the final playing of the school song and the tossing of the hats.  Sad.  I hung around for a while to try to locate some of the parents I knew, but the mass of humanity was just too much.  Besides, I still had to walk home.  Uphill.  For miles and miles.  Kids these days just don't appreciate how good they have it.  Do I sound like your grandparents yet?
 
 1 John 5:3 says, "This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome"
 
Father, stick with those grads from last night.  Draw them to yourself.  Amen.

No comments: