Monday, May 7, 2012

May 7 – “Vaughan Family Mysterious Maladies”

 
 
I did a sermon on pride yesterday.  It was based on the pride of that guy Haman in the story of Esther.  He was bragging to his family one time about how great he was, but he couldn't enjoy it because one person wouldn't bow down to him.  One person ruined his joy, made him miserable.  His wife and friends took about all they could stand of his boasting.  His bitterness had so infected them that they finally recommended he kill the kill and get it over with.  Wow.  Like that would be a viable solution.  I guess for him it would have been.  Does show how much power pride has over you, though.  It can make you bitter or it can make you depressed.  And it can infect everybody closest to you.  Ouch.  Of course I'm sure the ones who probably needed it most weren't even there.  Or if they were, they were too proud to admit it.  Oh, well.  I heard it.
 
My uncle came by in the afternoon to check on Mom.  He has been by several times, so he kind of knows how she has been doing, and she recognized him right away.  He's getting pretty comfortable at our house, too.  He and Mom and I even dozed off together for a while.  Hope Chris enjoyed the Astros game.  My younger brother and his wife came over, too, and woke us from our troubled slumber.  Mom knew she should know them, but she couldn't put a name with them.  She asked after they left who they were.  When we told her she replied, "Oh, yeah.  I thought so."  My older brother and his wife had stopped by the hospital on Saturday, so she was very pleased to have received visits from "all three of my boys."  I'm not sure if I was included in that or not.  She and Dad pretty much raised my uncle, so he might be the one she was referring to.  When everyone left and we all settled back down on the couch, Mom was back to her usual groaning, lamenting self.  I guess this episode of the Vaughan Family Mysterious Maladies has drawn to a close.  Wonder what comes on next?  Sometimes I wish we could change the channel on life.  But then we might miss something exciting.  And I don't know if I could handle a picture-within-a-picture kind of life like the prophets had.  Too difficult to keep up with everything.  Unless maybe I could be like Ezekiel.  He had some pretty wacky things going on.  That might be fun …
 
1 John 2:3-6 says, "We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands. 4 The man who says, "I know him," but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5 But if anyone obeys his word, God's love  is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him: 6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did."
 
Father, all I want to do is learn how to obey you.  Forgive me when I don't.  Push when I hesitate.  Encourage me when I do.  I need all the help I can get.  Amen.

No comments: