Saturday, May 19, 2012

May 19 – “The Big Three”

 
 
I finally took a few hours to do some fishing yesterday.  Problem was my usual bait supplier didn't have any live shrimp.  He said they should be available in 45 minutes or so.  Not good.  I tried my second choice and he didn't have any either.  Not looking good.  My third choice did have some.  In fact he was bragging about his huge tanks and how he could keep more than anyone else.  I got some there, but they were so small I had to put two on the hook just to get any fish's attention.  All in all it turned out to be a good day for someone fishing to get some food for his family.  Chris had already planned a family fish fry for Memorial Day.  Most people do barbeque, but, hey, we live in Galveston.  So we needed to get enough fillets to handle four families.  Not a bad start.  I ended up keeping thirty whiting.  Caught quite a few more than that, but those tiny shrimp seemed to entice tiny whiting.    
 
I had a wedding on the beach last night.  It was supposed to start around 6:30.  The bride's Dad and a few others were there at that time.  The others straggled in over the next thirty minutes or so.  The bride's son came, I think with some cousins or maybe his aunt.  I think he's about eight or nine years old, so I was pretty cautious when he held out his hand to give me something.  Turned out that it was the rings.  I showed him how to put them on his fingers and asked him to hand them to me during the ceremony.  He seemed excited at the prospect of being involved.  At least until the other kids decided they wanted to run up to the water and do some playing.  He ran off to join them, so I let the groom know that he had the rings.  Loved his response.  "Oh, well, we can always get a metal detector." 
 
The bride finally got there around 7:15.  Good thing it was daylight savings time.  The wedding itself was very small, with just family and a friend or two present.  We just took up our places next to the water and everyone gathered in close so they could hear.  There must have been fifteen photographers.  Actually they didn't hire anyone, it was just phone cameras and at least one video camera vying for the best possible angle.  The bride should have plenty of pictures to choose from.  I think in general the ceremony went well.  I have three big indicators, from my perspective, of a successful wedding ceremony.  I don't count not starting on time.  That's pretty much a given no matter where the ceremony is.  First, no one broke down crying.  Not that that is a negative thing.  It just inevitably leads to others joining them.  Second, everyone stayed awake.  Of course, they were standing up.  And they were at the beach.  All they had to do was watch the waves or the seagulls or the children playing or the guy fishing (who didn't seem to be catching anything.  Not that I was watching him or anything).  And the final of the big three indicators of a successful wedding?  The bride was happy.  That trumps everything else. 
 
1 John 3:16 says, "This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers."
 
Father, give that bride and groom a great start to their life together.  Amen.

No comments: