Thursday, May 10, 2012

May 10 – “There’s only one”

 
 
Cailyn taught Nani a new word.  Or maybe it was the other way around, I'm not exactly sure.  They have been doing a lot of work in the kitchen lately.  Cooking lunch or dinner, making cookies, washing dishes, it doesn't really matter to Cailyn.  She just likes to be doing whatever it is that Chris is doing.  And of course she wants to be doing it "by myself."  With all that cooking going on there are times when some serious heat is involved, whether it's the toaster after some of those great frozen waffles or the pan right the chicken strips come out of the oven.  The things that has developed between the two cooks is a description of the levels of hot.  Some things are just hot – warm enough to know the molecules have been excited to the point of dancing around, but usually not too hot to touch.  Somewhere in the middle is "really hot."  I haven't been able to catch the exact temperature level of this one, but I know you don't want to hold it in your hand.  On the opposite extreme is where the new word came in handy in their quest for descriptive tools in the kitchen.  Apparently at some point in the process there is a clear-cut crossover into the realm of "ooh-hot."  Didn't take much explanation to get through to me on that one.  I for one don't want to be anywhere around an "ooh-hot" thing.  Unless maybe it's a cup of coffee. 
 
Nathan and April and Cailyn came over yesterday afternoon to give Chris and I a chance to go on a date.  Been a long time.  They hung out with Mom so Chris wouldn't be constantly worried for her well-being.  We went to see the new Avengers movie.  I have to admit I was dozing during the first part.  Early afternoons are not a good time for me anyway, and sitting quietly in a darkened room doesn't help a body already eager to take a break.  I tried to snooze a bit before we left, but I guess it didn't help.  I was finally able to overcome it, long before all the high-level action started.  And I was wide-awake enough to hear what became my absolute favorite line from the whole movie.  Someone warns Captain America that Loki is "one of the gods."  The good Captain's response?  "There's only one, and he doesn't look like that."  Nice theology.
 
1 John 2:15-17 says, "Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For everything in the world — the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does — comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever."
 
Father, Thank you for giving us a way to escape the "ooh-hot" of sin.  And thanks for making it easy to trust you – just the One of you.  Amen. 

No comments: