Friday, May 11, 2012

May 11 - "Life on Mars"

 
Well, that was a long night.  Mom was up five or six times all the way through, which meant Chris was up in a flash to make sure she was OK.  There were several times that it sounded like she had fallen, but it turned out to be nothing.  Apparently she was just making a lot of bathroom trips. 
 
I hope Chris is able to catch up on some sleep this morning.  She had to make another trip yesterday related to the whole executor of her Mom's estate thing.  This time she went to Angleton to meet with the new lawyer representing her and her siblings.  They finally switched since the other guy had done essentially nothing for a year and a half.  This new one sound quite proficient, though.  I still pray for a speedy closure.  Chris needs it.
 
While she was gone and Mom was resting I actually toyed with our Netflix account.  We are probably going to cancel it.  We rarely use it, and when we do there are just not many good movies available on the streaming part.  And it is very difficult to get it to work through our Wii system, which is why we ordered it in the first place.  Very disappointing.  I did find some old TV shows that I had never seen before.  One in particular caught my eye.  I don't remember ever seeing it when it aired.  It apparently came out in 2008 or 2009.  The name of it is Life on Mars.  I figured it would some sort of science fiction story about a colony of earthlings struggling against aliens on some strange planet.  It was science fiction, I guess, but not at all about space travel.  Try time travel.  That has always been a fascination of mine, even when I was a kid.  Where would you go if you could visit any time in the past?  I know my dream destination changed many times.  I wanted to meet Babe Ruth or Lou Gehrig or any of the big time baseball greats.  I thought about what it would be like to go back to the time of Jesus, but I quickly decided I wouldn't be able to understand the language, so it wouldn't do me any good. 
 
So in the series, a police detective is hit by a car, and when he wakes up he is in 1973.  He's still a detective, and everyone there thinks he is a transfer to their precinct.  The story line shows his struggle to return to his home while carrying out his duties as a cop under the much more lax legal system.  I only saw a few episodes, but it was fun to see the people dressed like I remember dressing back in my first years of college.  Hard to believe we pulled off wearing strange garb like that even to church.  One thing still appeals to me, though.  You can't beat a good leisure suit.  No tie is always a win.
 
1 John 2:20 says, "But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and all of you know the truth."
 
Father, forgive me when I act like I am ignorant of the truth.  I know I can find it by looking for you.  Amen.

No comments: