Thursday, May 17, 2012

May 17 – “And the day began …”

 
 
I knew the day would come.  Alas, I just didn't expect it to be so soon.  Another long day filled with the drudgery of work and the lack of surprises.  No frolicking children bringing laughter and mayhem.  No long-awaited conclusion to a puzzle agonized over.  Left alone while Chris and Mom both ventured out to reconnect with their Wednesday Club world of book reports and banquets.  Left alone with sermon and Bible Study and camp and planning meeting and wedding to prepare for.  And the day began with … coffee.
 
And the coffee had actually begun the day before, as it began the day before that, and the day before that.  At an appropriate time when a break was needed from sitting at the computer, I rose and entered the kitchen, rubbing my eyes and stretching my weary, tightened muscles.  Lifting the lid on the coffeemaker that has served us well since the hurricane of '08, I emptied the used grounds into the trash can.  I lifted the carafe to check for the inevitable tiny bit of cold residue remaining, for rarely do we completely drain it dry, unless of course Nathan stops by for a cup or two.  I drained the pot and replaced it under the drip hole.  Next I filled the cool little water pitcher with markings for ten cups.  That plastic pitcher survived the Big One as well, and it has served us faithfully for many years.  It offers an accurate and easy way to fill the empty water tank.  Putting the paper filter into the proper receptacle could be a frustrating task, especially for someone with pain and swelling issues in the fingers.  But not for me.  Several years ago (yes, also before the hurricane.  It seems the best things stand the test of time and extreme weather conditions), I stumbled across a kitchen gadget that revolutionized the whole process of coffee preparation.  It looks like a pair of tweezers with rubber tips.  As you squeeze the top the two rubber tips gently pick up just one paper filter at a time.  Amazing.  Ah, but then came the tricky part.  Then I pulled out the coffee beans from the freezer.  Yes, I know there are different schools of thought regarding proper storage of coffee, both as beans and already ground.  For us the freezer storage of the opened bag of coffee beans has always proven to work best.  And as for which brand of beans is the best, you can't go wrong with Boyer's Coffee.  Now, I'm not talking about Boyer Brothers, which is available anywhere.  Boyer's requires ordering directly from the factory in Denver, Colorado.  Sadly, since the original owner died, prices have risen and shipping costs made it impractical for us to continue using it.  Kel's association with Starbuck's led us to try out several of their brands, and we finally lit on Sumatra.  Not Boyer's, but close.  I poured just enough into the grinder cup to cover the blades.  I popped it onto the mechanical monster that forces the blades to turn rapidly and chop up the beans into a powder, and the grinding whining began.  I poured the powder onto the paper filter.  I closed the lid.  I pushed the button that activated the preset "on" time.  And I wait until 6:00 the next morning.  The miracle of modern technology then worked its magic, and when I woke up yesterday morning to face the day, I drink a cup of coffee.  There.  I promised a rundown of my coffee making skills.  Now you, too, can enjoy this same success in the privacy of your own kitchen. 
 
1 John 3:11 says, "This is the message you heard from the beginning: We should love one another."
 
Father, that sure says it all.  Love one another.  Amen.

No comments: