Sunday, May 27, 2012

May 27 – “Candy bar bar”

 
 
I spent a good chunk of the day yesterday in the garage.  Makes me sound all home-owner-ish, doesn't it?  Actually I was working on a carving for Chris.  I know it's not Christmas, but I had an idea for something and I knew nothing in my head would last for seven months.  How's it going?  Well, I think I got it down to the point where you can almost tell what it is supposed to be.  I'm certainly not satisfied with it yet, though.  I'll just have to wait until my elbows recuperate some and give it another whirl.
 
We went to a wedding at the big Methodist church in the afternoon.  Marcus, the groom has gone to camp with us many times as a camper and later as a counselor.  I got to baptize him years ago, so I wanted to be there when he took this next plunge.  He told me he was disappointed that he had to use one of the pastors at the Methodist church.  He wanted me and the guy who is pastor where he plays in the praise band now to be involved.  Gotta play by the rules if you want to use their building, though.  And the place really is beautiful.  We were especially impressed by the way they did the reception.  It was a huge nachos bar setup.  Chips and the works to put on top of them – meat, refried beans, cheese, several of those Mexican sauces, olives, sour cream, and several things that I couldn't identify.  There were some vegies and fruits for dietary-minded folks.  The star attraction of the day, though was the candy bar.  I don't mean like a Nestle's Crunch bar or a Hershey's chocolate bar.  I mean a bar bar.  An entire table was dedicated to a vast assortment of candies, from jelly beans of all colors and flavors to packages of chewy sweet tarts to tootsie rolls to those little boxes of Dots.  Needless to say that table was a huge favorite with the children … all of us.  People were stuffing their pockets with their favorites, and still there was more.  Sweet way to start a marriage.
 
1 John 4:10 says, "This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins."
 
Father, stay with Marcus and Kristine as they journey together toward you.  Amen.

No comments: