Thursday, April 5, 2012

April 5 – “Doggie flap”

 
 
I had one of those dirty duties yesterday that someone has to do.  I replaced the doggie door flap.  And it was beyond just dirty.  It was really nasty dirty.  It wouldn't even hang straight any more.  Therein came the problem.  The flies were using it more than the dogs.  When we got it, it was the best middle-of-the-line product we could find at PetsMart to stick into our brand-new storm door.  Nathan and I had a real bonding experience cutting into the aluminum and installing the thing.  Now it is four years later.  I suppose it is time for a change.  Chris began the process by going online and trying to find one.  That was not working so well, so I braved the nastiness and found a replacement part number.  Meanwhile Chris checked her huge notebook of home repair receipts from post-Hurricane Ike.  That's when we discovered that the purchase was made at PetsMart.  Or is that supposed to be PetSmart?  I guess the genius in the marketing department came up with that one.  Either that or someone who got fired from WalMart.  Anyway, once she told me that I went back online and entered Petsmart and the part number just to see what happened.  And there it was.  I tracked it all the way down to the page where you have to enter your credit card number before they showed how much shipping was.  Crazy.  The flap as listed at $29.99.  Shipping was another $10.99.  Outrageous.  So I decided to see if the nearest store, which I assumed to be the one at Baybrook Mall, had one in stock.  I entered our zip code and imagine my surprise when the nearest store was listed as being over in the Target parking lot here on the island.  Oh, yeah.  I forgot all about that.  It was built where the old Sears auto department used to be back when that was an actual mall (how's that for dating oneself?).  They didn't have a separate website, so we decided to just run over there and check it out.  Why not?  As long as we didn't have to drive clear into Texas we should be fine.  Sure enough, it was there and they had a replacement flap in stock.  One.  Just for us.  And it only cost $24.99.  That's a good decision.  Now we have a clean doggie door flap and a PetsMart User card ("It's like a Kroger card," explained the cashier, "with it you get the sale prices all the time.").  Ah.  Now that's a topic for another day.  If they are going to give you lower prices with a card, and you are already in the store, why don't they give you lower prices anyway? 
 
I'm planning to do an overview of Maundy Thursday at Life group tonight.  That would be the Thursday before Easter.  I've been poring over a Haggadah from the Christian perspective.  Also picked up some stuff to make the Passover food – charoseth (sweet stuff) and the bitter herbs.  Can't wait to see who is brave enough to try everything.  Should be fun. 
 
1 Peter 2:6 says, "For in Scripture it says: 'See, I lay a stone in Zion, a chosen and precious cornerstone, and the one who trusts in him will never be put to shame.'"
 
Father, thank you that getting a clean heart is just a matter of connecting with your Holy Spirit.  Amen.

No comments: