Wednesday, April 25, 2012

April 25 – “Technology and Tune-writing”

 
 
One of the things Cailyn loves to do when she is over here involves my phone.  It goes without saying, I guess, that she likes to play Angry Birds.  I think that's a staple among kids of her generation.  OK, so I wanted to be the first to say that time-honored phrase in reference to her antics.  I know it won't be long before her Mommy and Daddy discover just how appropriate the expression can be.  Of course, most kids are already working on their high scores and blowing through level after level.  Not so much Cailyn.  It's not that she isn't good at the game.  Between her and Micah they have pretty much defeated every level there is on my phone.  I know I sure haven't.  It's just that she thinks it's funny to pull the little slingshot thing backwards and watch the bird fly off into the nothingness on the opposite side of the screen.  It might have something to do with the concern she obviously feel for the pigs when they get squished and pop like zits.  She has such a tender heart, you know. 
 
Her other favorite activity on my phone comes when she moves over to my music stash.  She knows just how to get there, and just how to manipulate the screen so that it reveals her absolute favorite album, Action Bible Songs for Kids.  It's what she calls "The Jesus Songs."  She's getting pretty good at learning them, too.  Oh, she already down songs like "Jesus Loves Me."  She informed us that "Daddy sings that one."  She also likes the ABC Song and the one Chris made up to help her learn to spell her name.  It goes to the tune of the Mickey Mouse Club.  "C-A-I-L-Y-N, Cailyn is her name."  She gets the C and the L-Y-N.  Won't be long. 
 
Yesterday we listened to the Action Songs over and over for about 30 or 45 minutes.  Classics like Father Abraham.  That's the one we used to get Mom to do some arm exercises at the dinner table.  Surprisingly enough, it worked.  "Right arm, left arm, right foot, left foot, chin up."  She was exhausted by the time the song ended.  Have to remember that one.  Later one, when we were outside, I heard Cailyn humming, so I sidled over as casual as I could and listened.  She was singing one of the songs from the cd.  It goes, "Behold, Behold, I stand at the door and knock, knock, knock."  The Cailyn version had a few slight adaptations.  She quite creatively incorporated the words and tune from another all time favorite.  Her result went something like, "E-old, e-old, Stand at a door.  Knock, knock, knock," (and here she flowed naturally into the other tune) "here, and knock, knock there, here a knock, there a knock …"  Well, you get the idea, I'm sure.  Very cute.  Wildly creative.  That's my girl.
 
1 Peter 5:10-11 says, "And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. To him be the power for ever and ever. Amen."
 
Father, thank you for implanting into Cailyn a love of music.  Amen.

No comments: