Saturday, April 28, 2012

April 28 – “Mindless, madcap and Mom”

 
 
I can't even remember much about yesterday.  It was one of those days where I was supposed to be taking a day off, but they never really happen.  Especially when you are involved in the ministry.  I did some work on the sermon.  I stressed about a meeting coming up.  I worried about Mom.  I wondered about April's latest malady (Her gall bladder has apparently flared up.  Looks like it was also affected in her bout with the mystery disease.  But because it was considered a minor consideration to the life-threatening stuff, it was put on the back burner.  Now it has shifted itself forward.  But she still has a two more weeks left in the semester and she is determined to get through it before admitting to herself just how bad she may feel.  I understand that feeling).  I worked on some bill-paying – always a bit of a stress-inducer.  I tried to read a little bit, but just got through two chapters.  We left Mom watching TV on the couch for about twenty minutes and ran some errands.  That's when we decided to grab a few movies from Redbox.  That has been known to help me relax in the past.  We saw that new Mission Impossible one and he one called Tower Heist with Ben Stiller.  Mindless action-adventure and madcap comedy – great combination.  Sandwiched in between them I had a wedding rehearsal over at the San Luis hotel.  We were actually invited to the rehearsal dinner on that one, but we decided not to leave Mom alone for that long.  So much for Willie G's.
 
Speaking of Mom, last night was another strange one.  I don't know what all was going on, though.  She kept calling out for Chris from about 11:30 on.  Every two hours or so she cried out or was up in the bathroom.  I finally stayed up around 5:30.  Chris is trying to catch a few more winks.  Mom is still intermittently crying out, but to no one in particular.  The most recent concern has been that her teeth are sticking to her face.  That one happened last night as well, and Chris got her some water.  I went for the water this morning, but she was asleep again before I got it to her.  She has a doctor's appointment on Monday or Tuesday, so we'll just have to hang in there until then, I guess.  Mindless, madcap and Mom.  What a day.  I hope I'm still physically able (and we can afford it) some day to take an actual vacation.  You know, actually do something mindless and madcap rather than live it vicariously on the big screen.  In the meantime, the Astros are on TV at 3:00 …
 
2 Peter 1:10-11 says, "Therefore, my brothers, be all the more eager to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never fall, and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ."
 
Father, thank you for reassuring me about the call you have on my life.  Otherwise days like yesterday would be really overwhelming.  Amen.

No comments: