Sunday, April 15, 2012

April 15 – “Bumps in the night”

 
 
We had a very strange wakeup call around 3:00 this morning.  There came a knock on our bedroom door, rousing up from slumber.  The door slowly opened, just a crack at first, then wider and wider until … there stood a barely distinguishable figure in the darkness.  The apparition cried out softly, oh-so softly, "Chris."  Instantly the nurse sleeping beside me leapt to her feet and headed toward the sound, not completely sure of the source for her glasses remained on the stand beside the bed.  She was certainly faster than I was, however, and before I could even creak my weary bones around to the side of the bed, she had disappeared into the darkness, engulfed by the abyss.  I listened for recognizable sounds from the depths of my own world of eerie silence.  At first there was nothing.  Then distant, indistinguishable murmerings.  Then clearer and clearer.  Until finally I was able to make out what seemed to be a conversation.  Chris was talking with the specter.  And it was making sounds in reply.  What sort of madness would invade our sleep and draw my wife into early morning negotiations?  Would Chris ever return?  Was it up to me to gather what limited strength I could muster and burst forth from the bedroom into the fray and save her from this horrific nightmare? 
 
Nope.  Chris returned safe and sound with but a sigh and a sad chuckle accompanying her.  Mom was sure she had seen two ladies in her room.  One was trying to pull her out of bed.  The other was doing something with the light.  She didn't seem frightened, but was worried that they might bother Cailyn.  Chris assured her that the ladies were gone and Cailyn was safe with her Mommy.  She left the light on in Cailyn's room, though, just in case. 
 
I don't know.  Maybe she saw some angels.  In which case I prayed that if they were demons, that Jesus would ban them from the premises.  If they were angels, then I thanked Jesus for sending them.  If it was but a dream or a result of her dementia, then I salute her imagination.  I hope my future dreams and hallucinations can be at least that exciting if not more so.  Maybe if I start now I can work up some really fun scenarios for whichever son happens to be hosting me at the time.  Hmmm.
 
1 Peter 3:13-14 says, "Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. 'Do not fear what they fear; do not be frightened.'"
 
Father, watch over Mom each night with those angels of yours.  Keep fear far from her.  Amen.

No comments: