Tuesday, April 10, 2012

April 10 – “Indian Beach dedication”

 
 
The Saturday before Easter I was asked to speak at the dedication of a recreation facility at one of the communities not far from the church.  Actually it was more of a rededication and renaming.  They decided to name it after the University of Houston police officer who was killed on Christmas Eve a year or two ago.  She lived in Indian Beach, and her family still lives there.  I didn't get much direction as to what was expected of me, so as usual I prepared way more than I thought I might need, figuring I could pick whatever fit as I met the people and saw where things were going. 
 
Come to find out, they had a pretty good little ceremony planned.  The Jamaica Beach volunteer fire department brought out their huge ladder truck and flew a flag from the top.  Representatives from the sheriff department and the Galveston, Jamaica Beach, and University of Houston police departments were all there.  The mayor of Galveston was there, and the mayor of Jamaica Beach read a proclamation in honor of the occasion. 
 
I decided less would be better, so I kept my comments to a prayer and a specific blessing of the facility.  For that I brought along a rose from the bush in our front yard.  I dipped it into the swimming pool four times, and each time I turned to face a different direction, splashing the water from the rose and asking God to be in control of the area, protect the people who use it, and in turn use them to touch others who may need their help.  The rose was a symbol of life from God and the water represented the Spirit of God pervading the facility.  It seemed to go pretty well.  The mother of the dead officer thanked me and invited me to the reception at her house.  The event organizer said it was just what she had hoped for.  I get to do some unusual things as a pastor.
 
1 Peter 2:11-12 says, "Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul. Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us."
 
Father, touch that family as they continue to grieve.  Draw them to yourself where they can find real comfort.  Amen.

No comments: