Thursday, April 19, 2012

April 19 – “Fashion expertise”

 
 
Mom had another bad day yesterday.  At least until it was time to go to bed.  She started the day saying she just couldn't do anything.  Chris asked her to sit up in bed and she said she couldn't remember how.  She couldn't remember how to use her arms or how to walk either.  Then thirty minutes later she gets up by herself and goes to the bathroom.  Chris called the doctor first thing to see how her blood work results went last week.  When they finally called back, they said the blood work was all completely normal.  It's like something is somehow misfiring in her brain.  That left the only dementia as an explanation.  Chris is not completely convinced yet.  About 9:30 last night we got simultaneous phone calls going on with Josh to tell us about their buying a house in San Antonio and with Cailyn to tell us about getting her ears pierced.  Then Mom really perked up.  She moved around on her own and even talked to us.  But it was time to go to bed.  She didn't fight that or anything.  She seemed ready as well.  But it was like she had just started her day.  I guess her own personal "start to the day time" has progressed from three in the afternoon to 9:30 at night, with bedtime remaining at around ten.  That doesn't leave much time to experience the day. 
 
Cailyn was great with her the other day when Chris went to Bay City.  They had breakfast together.  Special K and Fruit Loops.  Great combination.  I think Mom wanted to complain about how bad she felt, but Cailyn didn't let her.  She kept urging her on, "Only a few more bites, OK MeeMaw?"  After breakfast Cailyn decided she wanted to help MeeMaw get dressed.  I went into the bedroom to pick out some clothes.  Thought I did a pretty good job, too.  Purple pants.  A shirt with purple in it (I hoped).  But when Cailyn arrived on scene I was informed that I had chosen the wrong shirt.  "No, DadDad.  Not that one.  She needs the sparkly one."  Sparkly.  That's not how I would have described any of the shirts I had seen in the pile.  But I stepped back and let her have a look.  Sure enough, she came out with a shirt that appeared to be purple (best as I could tell).  And it had some little sequin-looking, sparkly things on it.  There you go.  That's why I leave the fashion decisions to the experts.  I can't imagine what it's going to be like now that Cailyn has pierced ears.  Guess next they'll be sharing jewelry.  Wonder if those frog earrings will fit Cailyn?
 
1 Peter 4:8 says, "Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins."
 
Father, thank you for giving me the chance to watch the bond between Cailyn and Mom.  Amen.

No comments: