Thursday, April 26, 2012

April 26 – “Work day”

 
 
I suppose every now and then a person has to put in a day of extended study.  By study in my case I mean sitting at the computer doing one task after another after another to the point that Chris has to come in and remind me to get up and walk around.  I appreciate the love and concern behind her commands, but it does cause me to glitch in my focus on whatever I am doing at the time, which is just the point according to her vast array of medical and wives-tale knowledge.  Be that as it may, I did get quite a bit done.
 
I spent a long time mapping out the outline for the sermon on Sunday.  That I work on throughout the week anyway, so I try to get the rough draft down as early in the week as possible.   It helps that we are working through a specific book of the Bible.  Esther just seems to lend itself to storytelling and easy applications. 
 
I also got a lesson together to use for the youth Bible study on Wednesday.  Our youth pastor resigned, so I wanted to have something ready to go if needed.  As it turned out he had something ready for last night.  He did a look at the future with the group of juniors and seniors in high school that was there.  Did a good job with it, too.  I found out that next week is covered with a service project, so I'll use the lesson I prepared the week after that.  Should be fun.
 
Youth camp is an area that volunteers will be covering this summer, so I spent some time downloading the camp information and getting familiar with some of the new stuff they are requiring this year.  The newest thing is a form we have to fill out indicating that our counselors have all had a background check run on them and none of them are listed in the national sex offenders data base.  Interesting advancement. 
 
The thing that took the most time was preparing for a meeting with the team at church that will be coordinating administrative stuff.  Their purpose is to encourage communication and do what they can to help the other teams be more effective.  As we talked it looked more and more like they would be serving almost like a group of elders.  Sounded kind of biblical.  They encouraged me to go forward with adjusting our bylaws to reflect the difference between the church as the Body of Christ and as an organization in America.  Chris says I'm the only one on the face of the earth that sees the difference.  Hey, I embrace my uniqueness.  Nobody ever accused me of being particularly ordinary.
 
2 Peter 1:3 says, "His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness."
 
Father, thank you for being the "Everything-we-need" Provider.  Amen.

No comments: