Sunday, May 8, 2011

May 8 – “Happy Mother’s Day”

 

We celebrated Mother's Day yesterday.  I know it was a day early, but Nathan had to work at the fire department today, so our local kids all came over.  Mr. Ken was still in town, too.  He wasn't too sure about our technique, though.  He asked me if the kids were taking her out for lunch.  No.  He asked if it would be a dinner date then.  No.  The confusion was becoming more apparent.  He finally said, "So what exactly are they going to do for their mother?"  My answer?  Show up.  "Oh," he said, "and they are going to fix a meal here, right?"  Well, no.  Again, "What?  They aren't going to do the cooking?"  No.  They are coming over and bringing along their children and Chris has a roast in the crock pot and two pots of rice on the stove.  See, she doesn't see it as work when she gets to see the grandkids and play Mommy again for everybody at once.  That's my wife.

 

They even got her the perfect present.  Last week our picture frame died.  It was one of those electronic ones that shows a picture for awhile, then switches to another one.  Reminds me of a computer in screen saver mode set to pull up random pictures from the My Pictures file.  We were going bring the one we took to the church back home, but that one has been very popular there.  Now we can leave it.  It did mean I inherited the task of loading it up with pictures.  The camera card we were using in the old one didn't fit, so I cleaned off a memory stick and loaded a few on it so we could get it going.  It's an 8 gig stick, though.  I think I can fit just a few more on there.  A few hundred.

 

Mom got to spend the day with my two brothers.  They picked her up and whisked her away for parts unknown and brought her back last night, gifts in hand.  She was very tired, but she said she really enjoyed it.  Apparently they had lunch, then took a nap before going out for supper.  Sounds like Mom's kind of day.  I like it when the two Moms in my life are both happy.  As they say, "When Mom is happy, everybody is happy."  I sure hope my sons remember that today at their homes.

 

Proverbs 10:1 says, "A wise son brings joy to his father, but a foolish son grief to his mother."

 

Father, thank you for my Mom and my wife and the mothers of my grandkids.  Amen.

No comments: