Friday, May 13, 2011

May 12 – “Solo Flight”

 

Chris said the other day that I have been in my cave again.  It was amazing.  She had a list of possible things that she said she could attribute my "absence" to: neck problems, back problems, arthritis pain, worrying about Mom, wondering about Seaside, and her last one – some combination of those.  I had to admit the two that jumped out most severely at the time were worry about Mom and the most recent arm tingling, ants crawling on neck sensations.  Must be bothering me more than I thought.  She made an appointment with neurosurgeon in June.  I'm not excited about that, because I know what's coming.  And I'm not interested in another neck surgery.

 

I feel bound to report on my solo flight with Cailyn yesterday.  I had a list of possible activities going.  I didn't need them all, though.  When Chris left Cailyn discovered a little plastic otter that I have had on my shelf for some time.  She decided that it was dirty and needed a bath.  So we set up at the kitchen sink and she washed it, over and over and over.  Oh, and I found out it was a girl otter.  Never knew up until then.  She used some cups to provide her with a bathtub.  She held her under the shower.  She used some eggshells left in the sink from breakfast to catch water and pour it over the poor creature.  And when the shells cracked too badly to used, she wanted me to get some more out of the fridge.  That one didn't happen.  Finally the water began to turn a pale reddish-brown color (one of the joys of living on the island).  That must have reminded her of coffee, because she decided it was time to set up the automatic coffee pot for tomorrow. 

 

Next came the lunch buffet – corn, mashed potatoes, chicken.  But no.  Cailyn took a long list at the chopices, put her hand son her hips, and asked, "Where the pancakes, DadDad?"  So we made frozen waffles and ate them standing up in the kitchen.  Oh, and while we ate we prayed for Mommy to do well on her test.

 

After a brief interlude of cleaning Nani's entire sewing machine with the tiny little brush that came with it, we headed into Cailyn's bedroom to played "rest time"  Now understand, this was not for real.  I was hoping to ease her into the real thing, but she made it very clear it was just not time yet.  We sang Old McDonald, Jesus Loves Me, and her personal favorite, If You're Happy and You Know It.  She likes the stomp your feet part best.  After the singing she snuggled down into the pillow and instructed me to "go whole house."  It took me awhile to figure out that she meant get out of the room.  I complied, but she called me back to tuck her in – twice.

 

When that one ended, she did some exploring and found her Mommy's food stash.  She ate a few bites of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and some cheetos while she continued the exploration.  We started outside at one point – the site of most of my planned activities – but she stopped at the back door and announced a more pressing matter – a poopy diaper.  Rats.  I was hoping she would hold out until Chris got home.  That task completed, we wrote our names on some paper and watched an inning of the Astros game. 

 

By that time I was falling asleep, so I figured it must be time for her nap.  That is the way parents figure out what is best for their kids, right?  Cailyn agreed to join me for reading some books, but she just wouldn't quite give up and fall asleep.  For some reason she needed Nani to be there.  And I found out what that reason was when Nani did get there.  First thing Chris said was, "Do you want some chocolate milk?"  Of course.  I forgot that the naptime routine included a glass of chocolate milk to soothe the belly.  Didn't take long after that before she was out like a light.  Gotta have those Nanies.

 

Proverbs 3:7-8 says, "Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and shun evil.  This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones."

 

Father, thank you for my few hours with Cailyn.  You sure can me teach a lot through the actions of a two year old.  Amen.

No comments: