Friday, May 20, 2011

May 20 – “Doomsday tomorrow?”

I finished the first rough draft of a quick book about my Dad's battle with Alzheimer's disease.  It has a long way to go before it's ready for general consumption.  Chris read through it the other day and her comment was, "It wasn't what I expected."  I'm not even sure what I expected when I started writing.  I just felt like writing down the story might help me deal with all the emotions and decisions and frustrations we went through.  And I guess it did.  That's probably why it will be hard to do any kind of polishing of the story or character development or word-smithing.  My personal purpose has been achieved.  Now I have to rustle up some personal pride in the product.  I don't know if that would happen any time soon.  Maybe I should approach it from a different perspective.  Maybe it would help someone else going through the Alzheimer's experience with a loved one to know what to expect.  I might could get up for that.  Still a lot of work.

 

Hey, all you C.S. Lewis fans.  We now have a wardrobe in our house.  Tours of the secret world inside are now open.  Actually, we haven't filled it with fur coats and pine trees and Narnian creatures and experiences with Aslan yet, but you never know what could happen.  Or when. 

 

Speaking of not knowing what could happen or when, I just read the newspaper.  Front page of the Galveston Daily News.  The world is going to start to come to an end tomorrow at 6:00p.m.  Total destruction won't be completed until sometime on October.  Guess it takes awhile.  Some guy in California has made the latest doomsday prediction.  The last one he made, back in 1994, was apparently off by a few years, but he seems pretty sure this time.  One good thing about preparing for something like Doomsday … it won't do any good to evacuate.  You don't even need a hurricane list of which valuables and photo albums and important papers to carry with you.  All you have to do is make sure you're right with God, that you have a personal relationship with Jesus.  Then you don't have to worry or be afraid no matter what happens.  Or how it happens.  Doesn't matter. 

 

Matthew 24:36 says, "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father."

 

Father, whenever you are ready, come on.  I don't need to know when.  I just want to be there.  Amen.

No comments: