Sunday, May 22, 2011

May 22 – “A fair and a wedding”

 

There were lots of people at the craft fair yesterday.  Something like 20 or so booths, but apparently the advertising was quite successful.  The place was packed for much of the day with window shoppers and some purchasers.  While I was there in the morning Cailyn demanded most of my attention.  I did get to spend some time in church library going through books as preliminary to organizing them.  We want to cull out those that aren't appropriate for small children and make a separate section for them.  That way adults and teenagers can check books out on Sundays, and the school kids can use it during the week.  I haven't heard yet how much money was raised, but just having all those folks come through the building was worth it.

 

I had to leave to officiate a wedding at 1:00.  It was a pretty simple affair.  No extra music other than the entry and exit songs.  The only attendant was the groom's Dad, who acted as his best man.  I think the only reason he was there was to hold onto the rings.  There was no rehearsal, so we ran through what would happen right before we began.  When we got up in front of the crowd I happened to notice a lapel mike on a table nearby.  I glanced around, looking for the hotel guy who was playing the recorded music.  He was shaking his head and gesturing wildly for me to put it on.  That would have been helpful to know before we started.  The bride and her Dad arrived and I had no way to cue the sound table to fade out the music, so I decided to loudly announce the opening prayer.  I raised my voice a few levels and began, "Let us pray."  I didn't realize, however, that the music guy had already turned the mike on.  And the hotel's mike is so powerful that a person standing on the balcony of the highest room can hear it clearly.  So I startled a few passing pelicans and drew feedback from a flock of seagulls. 

 

The bride and groom were both engineers.  Everything had been planned exactly.  After I met with them a few months ago, I received regular email updates.  And when they got to the top of the stairs for us to begin, they both stood at attention, with hands to their sides.  It took me a line or two to notice, but when I did I stopped and whispered to them that it would be OK for them to hold hands.  Whispered.  Over the super-powered microphone.  Brought more than a few chuckles.   The groom got choked up during his vows, so the bride joined him.  By the time he finished they were both in tears.  I paused a moment so they could calm down.  She was much stronger for hers, but somewhere around "for richer or poorer" she almost lost it, too.  It all turned out good, though.  They are hitched.

 

Proverbs 6:16-19 says, "There are six things the Lord hates, seven that are detestable to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to rush into evil, a false witness who pours out lies and a man who stirs up dissension among brothers."

 

Father, I know that passage has nothing to do with weddings and fairs, but keep my family – my church one and my home one - away from those things.  Amen.

No comments: