Monday, May 23, 2011

May 23 – “Anything for my boys”

 

Chris wins the award for most vivid dream of the week.  Last night she dreamed that she and I went into some guy's hospital room …

 

Wait.  The plot obviously began long before this incident.  She was hazy on the details of what that plot was.  I don't know if she just couldn't remember it all or if she herself didn't enter the dream until she accompanied me to the hospital.  Now this guy was important to the story line for one reason only.  He could identify our son Nathan.  And what did Nathan do that made his identification necessary in the first place?  She didn't know that.  What have you been up to, my son?

 

Back to the story.  We walked into the hospital room of the potential witness.  Now when she told this part there was no drama.  No drumroll.  In fact no warning of any kind.  In fact this is this first thing she said to me this morning , after "I love you," of course.  She just blurted out, "You stabbed the man in the chest." 

 

What?  I did what?  So you understand my consternation.  She hastened to say that it was a dream, but I wanted details.  What man?  Where?  When?  And you have all the detail she could muster.  She did finally add, "I didn't know you even had a knife."  I quickly answered, "There's a whole drawer full in the kitchen."  Not exactly the best response for my defense, was it?  The last bit of detail reflected a bit of her inherent claustrophobia.  As we attempted to escape the hospital we got stuck in the elevator.  That's where we were when she woke up in a panic.  Not so much because I stabbed a guy, but because we were stuck in an elevator. 

 

Chris said she was going to text Nathan this morning and tell him that she knew for a fact that his Dad would do anything for him.  Maybe you shouldn't reveal too many details on that, Chris.  Not until you can dream me up a lawyer.

 

Proverbs 6:20-22 says, "My son, keep your father's commands and do not forsake your mother's teaching.  Bind them upon your heart forever; fasten them around your neck.  When you walk, they will guide you; when you sleep, they will watch over you; when you awake, they will speak to you."

 

Father, watch over my sons and their wives and my grandsons and my granddaughter and my Mom and my wife.  And could you give Chris some pleasant dreams next time?  Amen.

No comments: