Friday, May 6, 2011

May 6 – “Micah and the memorable pastime”

 

I got to see Micah play a game of t-ball yesterday just before home group.  Chris stuck around the house to be the consummate hostess while I went to the ball park.  Isn't she awesome?  Of course that means she gets to go to the game next Thursday I get to be the hostess.  Hmm.

 

I always love baseball games no matter how old the participants are, although sometimes it's hard to follow the different age-related rules.  Last night, though, I was reminded that the little guys don't much care about the extra rules, or the regular old baseball rules for that matter.  Especially when they're just four years old.  And after about thirty or forty-five minutes it's the parents and coaches who want the game to be played to its bitter end, not the kids.  Now some of the little guys were in it for the long haul.  Like the little kid who tripped and fell face down on his way to first base after a great hit.  When he stood up he was sputtering and spewing and his face was covered with chalk from the baseline.  He couldn't see at all, so the base coach helped him brush the offending white stuff from his face.  His Mom raced from the stands with a bottle of water to clean up her baby.  And all the while, other parents were yelling, "Touch the base.  He hasn't touched first base yet."  They took him into the dugout, cleaned him up, popped his helmet back on his head, and sent him back to the field amid cheers and an ovation.  And he finally did touch the base. 

 

There were numerous other memorable events in last night's game.  I never realized how exciting it is to get to be the catcher.  I had to catch one time when I was in Little League.  I was playing shortstop and the coach wanted his son (our regular cather) to come in as a relief pitcher.  Problem was I was the only other guy on the team who was wearing a protective cup.  Chosen by default.  The other team had a runner on second base.  On the very first pitch I closed my eyes to receive it.  Luckily it hit the glove.  Unluckily, when I opened my eyes I saw the runner heading for third base.  A steal attempt.  Luckily, I always did have a really strong arm.  Unluckily, I never really knew where the ball would be going when it left my hand.  This particular throw went over the head of the … left fielder.  That was the only game I ever caught.  But the guys on Micah's team were all scrambling for the opportunity to put on all the catcher's gear and squat down on his haunches way behind the plate while everybody else chased the ball.  My grandson won the lottery.  He was catcher the first inning.  Nice job Micah. 

 

He got transferred to second base in the second inning.  Found him a small indentation in the infield that was full of baseline chalk and settled in.  That's when I noticed another amazing feat of dexterity on the part of my grandson.  Seems that when he plays the infield he switches his lefthander's glove to his other hand.  Ambidextrous?  Not sure.  The only ball that came near him wasn't near enough to hit his leg so it rolled on past.  When he moved to the outfield he switched the glove back to the proper hand again.  Pretty impressive, Micah.

 

Once he got to the outfield he was obviously in his element.  The game was well into its second half hour, so he was not alone in his change in focus.  From his new vantage point in center field (which, by the way on this level was right at second base), I saw him at different times: laid back on the dirt relaxing in the cool of the evening, actually making a portrait in the dirt of his guardian angel that rivaled any snow angel I have ever seen, and my favorite, he filled his hat with dirt.  I was on the edge of my seat with that one, because one of his coaches was calling his name about then.  I just knew he was going to react to the sudden attention and put the hat on, dirt and all.  I even had my phone ready to take a picture.  But not Micah.  He was way too cool to be phased by the simple ramblings of an unrelated adult.  He did stand up, but only to complete the action he had begun – he spun in a circle, spreading the dirt in wide arcs around him.  It was truly a thing of beauty, Micah.

 

I love baseball.

 

Proverbs 1:33 says, "But whoever listens to me will live in safety and be at ease, without fear of harm."

 

Father, once again I thank you for showing me the joy of a child in the simple things of life.  Thank you for loving Micah with me.  Amen.

No comments: