Monday, May 16, 2011

May 16 – “Cinco de Mayo”

 

Cinco de Mayo.  I know it was – what, eleven days ago - but I learned something about it.  It's another of the holidays of a foreign country that has made its way into our cultural experience and has been somewhat Americanized.  This one in particular is interesting to me.  As I understand it, it is not the Mexico version of our Independence Day like I always thought.  Apparently it's not even widely celebrated in Mexico.  It's all about a victory of Mexico over the French in some regional battle down there.  The real independence day is sometime in September.  In America it has become a celebration of the Mexican heritage in general.  Now that sounds American.  Anything for a party, I guess. 

 

Today looks like it's going to be one of those slow starters.  I woke up numerous times last night with drainage making me cough.  I finally took a Benadryl to dry it out.  Helped a lot, but I feel kind of wasted.  My left eye has been scratchy and bloodshot, too.  That's the one I haven't had cataract surgery on yet.  He warned me that its time would come.  And Chris warned me that she was making me an appointment with him whether I liked it or not.  Put it on the list.  I'll get to it.

 

Speaking of lists, I think today might be a good time to get the roll fencing for the backyard.  We are just replacing some we lost to Hurricane Ike right now.  Chris is still determined not to put any up next to the abandoned yard.  She hasn't given up on her wildest hopes that the Bank of America people will tear down that house and let us buy the lot cheap so we can use it.  She has great dreams for a playground and a community garden.  One of the kids mentioned a swimming pool.  Hey, if you're dreaming, why not dream big?

 

Proverbs 3:13-15 says, "Blessed is the man who finds wisdom, the man who gains understanding, for she is more profitable than silver and yields better returns than gold.  She is more precious than rubies; nothing you desire can compare with her."

 

Father, thank you for being patient with our dreams.  We do remember that all we really need is you.  Amen.

No comments: