Thursday, October 27, 2022

October 27 - “Sycamore”

I managed to keep up with Chris on her two-miler yesterday. It took a while, but I was finally able to separate the back pain from the hip pain. Weird. Thinking back, it was the hip aching that woke me up at around midnight. But it’s the back pain (that kicks in when I try to change positions) that forces me out of bed and into the recliner. Sure hope the doc I see on Friday has some relief for one of them, at least.

 

Speaking of docs, Chris had a doc appointment in the afternoon to check in with her PCP.  While she was gone, I went to Randall’s to pick up a prescription. While standing in the inevitable line, I struck up a conversation with the guy behind me. Actually, he conversed. I pretty much just listened.

I sure found out more about him than I ever imagined.  He works at the airport for Shell Oil.  Earlier in the day he to do his early voting duty. The election official there asked for his ID, as usual.  But then she demanded (quite rudely) that he say his address out loud to verify it before she allowed him to vote. He quietly replied that his address was the one on the driver’s license.  She pressed the issue, loudly demanding that he was required by law to say the address out loud.  Just as loudly he asked what law that was. He finally didn’t see any reason to continue the argument further, though.  “I finally gave in and told them I live over on Sycamore.”  Wait a minute.  Sycamore.  I waited until he took a breath and jumped in to ask where on Sycamore.  He lives just down the street from us. I told him we lived on Sycamore as well.  He proudly remarked that he was “one of the originals.” He had lived on the street since the seventies.  Cute.  I let him know that I grew up on the street as well.  We moved there when I was five – 1958.  Got you beat by a decade or two. He knew our house as “The Cagnola’s.”  He even recognized “The Vaughan’s” name.  Great to meet you, Neighbor Marco.

 

Psalms 34:19 says, The righteous person may have many troubles, but the Lord delivers him from them all;

Father, please be with Marco as he continues to adjust to life without his Mom.  Amen.

No comments: