Sunday, October 23, 2022

October 23 - “Baseball and a wedding”

We spent the morning yesterday watching baseball. I know the Astros didn’t play until the afternoon.  Wasn’t them.  Josiah is in an instructional league here in Galveston. You can tell it’s instructional. Lots and lots of walks. And they don’t keep score.  The boys seem to be having fun, though. Josiah was clearly the best defensive catcher on the field in either game of his double-header. And he got on base every time as the lead-off hitter.  Proud DadDad moment …

 

Back to the Astros game … we only got to see the last half-inning. Why?  I was officiating a wedding at the Tremont Hotel in downtown Galveston.  I was trying to remember if I have ever been inside that hotel before.  I know that’s where Kel and Christina spent their wedding night, but in all my years here in Galveston, both before and after my exile to the mainland, I don’t remember being inside.  The place is pretty ornate.  It has been renovated extensively.  And pretty much the whole lobby is a bar of sorts, so there were lots of people coming and going.  Pretty upscale bar, I might add.  Almost everyone was dressed to the hilt, except for the few fans in Astros gear watching the game on the bar TV (not that I noticed the game at all, or that the Astros were winning). 

 

The wedding went well.  The groom was a semi-retired pastor, and the bride was from Columbia.  Just a few friends and family were in attendance.  One unusual thing about the service, itself – they had no fewer than five songs.  The lady who performed them was really good, too.  Very passionate about her singing, for sure.  After the ceremony we all sat down to a meal provided by the hotel.  Fancy stuff, and really good, too.  Filet mignon.  Potatoes.  Asparagus.  Some kind of crab cake that was really good.  Carrot cake for dessert.  And everyone got a gift from the bride and groom – a small bag of coffee from Columbia.  Can’t wait to try it.

 

Go Astros … sweep the Yanks!

 

Psalms 23:3 says, he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his names sake.

 

Father, please be with Jim and Martha as they start a new life together.  Amen.

No comments: