Wednesday, September 1, 2021

September 1 – “Triple time? Really?”

Welcome to September, the heart of hurricane season in the beautiful tropical paradise known as Galveston Island.  We have dodged one bullet, but I understand two or three more are forming to take pot shots at us this season.  And that will continue for another two or three weeks.  Ah, well.  It gives us something to look forward to, I suppose.

 

Water aerobics yesterday was … less than enjoyable.  Oh, we still got the exercise in, but we had the dance fever teacher.  She’s the one that zones out and dances in her own little world on the shore.  Rarely if ever looks at the water, much less the people in the water.  She’ll occasionally call out a different exercise for us to do, when she thinks about it. And after we do that one for a minute or so, she says, “Now do that one double time.  Or triple time if you were already doing it double time.  Just go faster than you were going OK time’s up.  Switch to something else.”  Triple time?  Really?  Have you even tried to do what you’re asking us to do … in the water?  There is no triple time. 

 

Another of her favorites is to call out some of the kick moves.  All good in themselves.  Then she’ll add, “You’re legs are going higher than mine.”  Generally when she gets to that point it becomes obvious that she is staring at her own body while she does the sample movements that we are supposed to follow.  I have been trying to figure out what would happen if I faked drowning or something, just to see if she is paying any attention at all. 

 

And then it happened.  I knew it was coming.  It is inevitable with her as teacher.  The music plays the Twist.  And she starts dancing, expecting us to keep time with the music in the water.  That one I can at least see the point to.  I can’t do the exercise because it really hurts my back, but I get it.  But then she says it.  “Now do the Charleston.”  Yep.  She starts dancing the Charleston.  Expects us to keep up.  That’s when I checked out.  I made up my own exercises for the rest of the class. 

 

Isaiah 54:17 says, “’No weapon forged against you will prevail, and you will refute every tongue that accuses you.  This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, and this is their vindication from me,’ declares the Lord.”

 

Father, thank you for that dance teacher.  I know she is doing the best she can, and she does provide us with some guidance.  Amen.

No comments: