Sunday, September 26, 2021

September 26 – “Honoring Chico Richardson”

Back in the car for another one day road trip. Another funeral, sadly. Chico and his family opened their home to me when I was a struggling youth pastor at their church. They let me live with them for one whole summer until the college dorms opened back up, so that family is something really special to me.

 

What did I get out of it? First and foremost, I gained two little sisters. Cyndi (I don’t know when you swapped the Y and the I) and Traci (Again with Y’s and I’s) agreed to move into the same room so I could have the other one, so I guess you could say I had a part in encouraging the closeness they now enjoy as sisters.

 

Mama Tish made me promise that whenever I got up the nerve to ask Chris to marry me, I was to come over and tell them. No matter what time it was. She somehow knew I was close. And when the big event occurred, and Chris said yes, where was our first road trip together as an engaged couple? Over to the Richardsons’ house. Chris wasn’t too sure about the whole thing, but when I explained that Tish had decreed it, well it had to happen.

 

And among the memories of Chico, not the least of which involve his inspirational sense of humor, I remember that Chico went with me to see the movie The Exorcist when it first came out. It was THE hot topic at the time, and since I was a youth pastor and he was a Dad, we HAD to go check it out so we could have first-hand knowledge - before we told the kids they couldn’t go. I remember sitting around the breakfast table and having a full-on prayer meeting before we left, too. Can’t be too careful. And, yes, after all that spiritual preparation, the movie proved to be quite anticlimactic. Not tame enough to recommend to the youth group, by any means, but generally cheesy for adults. Chico wanted to keep a can of split pea soup on hand after that so he could demonstrate his grasp of horror-filled movie moments.

 

Thank you, Richardson family, for putting up with a young and in love, aspiring youth pastor with stars in his eyes. Your encouragement that summer and through the years sustained me then and provides fond memories now. I love you guys.

 

John 14:1-3 says, “Stop letting your hearts be troubled. You believe in God. Believe also in me. In my father’s house are many dwelling places. If it were not so, I would have told you.

And if I and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you with me, so that you also can be face to face with me.

 

Father, thank you for the Chico and for the whole Richardson family. Bless them. Walk with them and give them one of those special hugs that only you can give. In Jesus’ name. Amen

No comments: