Saturday, September 25, 2021

September 25 – “Moving the Big Three”

We hit the road again yesterday morning.  No, not to go anywhere.  At least not yet.  That will be a story for another day.  Stay tuned for tomorrow’s edition.  I just meant we did our morning walk.  This time we stopped at two miles, though.  I had in the back of my mind – and rapidly approaching the front – that Chris had mentioned mowing the grass being on the day’s agenda.  If that was indeed the case, then I knew I would need to conserve some of my energy.  Wonderfully enough, she agreed, and we cut the walk short. 

 

There was no cutting short the yard work, though.  We went into the back yard to get started.  That’s when Chris mentioned transplanting some potted plants into the ground.  That task immediately leapt to the top of the list.  To get it done, we first had to move one of the huge pots that April brought during their move.  Problem was, it was the one that was already broken.  We got out the dolly, determined to be as careful as possible.  Nope.  The first time I tried to move the pot, it literally crumbled in my hands.  And on top of that, it had become one massive ant farm.  Sadly, we went ahead and tossed it in the trash.  Sorry, April.  Before tackling moving another of the “Big Three” pots, we decided to wait until we heard back from Nathan and April on whether they wanted them back or if they have found a new home. 

 

From there I started back again toward the shed to get out the lawn mower.  But first I realized I would have to trim back the evil, thorned boogervilla plant, or it would most certainly attack me as I passed my, defenseless, pushing the mower.  Once that task was complete, I walked past the other vine on the back fence (I can’t remember its name.  It has blue flowers, though).  I knew I should never have paused.  But when I did, Chris casually commented that it needed trimming badly as well.  Boom.  Next project explodes to the top of the list.  This one was quite the chore, too.  Not because of thorns this time.  This one just reaches out and grabs you with one of its millions of tentacles.  Took forever to get it under control. 

 

Next we … nope.  Not time to mow yet.  We moved out one pot whose contents had faced its demise after the recent freeze.  Then we took down the bird feeder pole and moved the toilet flower pot (yes, it is just what you think – we have an old toilet that Chris turned into a flower pot at the urging of Nathan and my Dad many years ago).  Thankfully that move was only a foot or two over to make room for the olive tree we got from the Huntley’s.  Now that olive tree pot was a monster, though.  Took both of us to get it in place.  And that was after we set out a few concrete blocks to act as a base. 

 

Next we had a chat about future plans to chop down one really large tree, to finish removing the freeze-killed satsuma tree, to remove another little one-branch, leftover-from-Hurricane Ike-that-refuses-to-finally-die-and-is-now-a-haven-for-ants, and to move a tree from its present location to a different, more favorable one somewhere else in the yard.  But … not today

 

Finally, I made my way to the shed and pulled out the lawn mower.  But Chris met me before I got it started to make me aware that it was already noon.  She wanted to know if I was ready for lunch.  Nope.  I’m getting the yard mowed and edged, if it knocks me out.  And of course, fast forward to the rest of the story … It almost did.  I was so sore after my shower that I took some Tylenol and eased down onto the couch for the remainder of the afternoon.  I think I ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and some Cheetos somewhere in there, but I really don’t remember.  The yard looks pretty good, though.  But no resting on our laurels around here.  Nope.  Chris was already talking about how she never got to finish cleaning out the flower beds.  Yay … something to look forward to …

 

Proverbs 17:28 says, “Even fools are thought wise if they keep silent, and discerning if they hold their tongues.”

 

Father, thank you for the green part of your creation.  It’s a lot of work, but you sure did a great job on your growing things.  Amen.

 

No comments: