Friday, September 10, 2021

September 10 – “Not politically correct … again”

Another pretty boring day in the books as far as activities is concerned.  We did water aerobics as usual.  We were a few minutes late, so we had sneak-shuffle in behind the teacher (that’s what she was doing, so I wanted to blend in).  We did have one of the good teachers this time, though.  She likes aerobic-type workouts.  That’s what we signed up for.

 

Next I went with Kel to the meeting of the Galveston Ministerial Association (or is it “Alliance”?  I don’t remember).  That’s the group that has the local rabbi as the president.  The local imam used to come, but he wasn’t there yesterday.  This time we saw A varied collection.  The Methodist church pastor was there.  She was the host.  There was the Episcopal priest and the Catholic priest.  One representative from UTMB was there.  It was the lady who taught me how to Zoom that time when I was trying to get my clergy visitor badge.  She didn’t remember me.  I’m not surprised.  She didn’t see much of me through that tiny little window on the computer (after I finally figured out how to turn it on).  There was also a representative from the Disciples of Christ church.  He was a retired pastor.  The lady who took notes was a lay-person from the Methodist church. 

 

My take on this particular group has always been that they are not really an inter-faith support and connections body like they could be.  Instead they have morphed into a quasi-political, social action committee.  Faith-based stands are non-existent.  Kel even wondered, “Where are the Jesus people?”  I mentioned Jesus once to a small group of them before we got started.  The context was an explanation of what I strove to communicate to the people of Seaside who have no religious background – introduce them to who Jesus is.  Of course I did add, “because that’s what really matters.”  And when I said that, every one of them took an actual step backwards away from me.  Even the Methodists.  Guess I wasn’t very politically correct?  But, hey.  I love Jesus.  I represent him.  Why not do so in a room full of … ministers?

 

Psalms 145:18 says, “The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth.”

 

Father, please be with those folks at the meeting who are responsible for communicating you and your love to hundreds of Galvestonians.  Remind them of who you are.  And in some cases, maybe introduce yourself to them?  Amen.

 

No comments: