Monday, December 28, 2020

December 28 – “A ‘Grand’ Day”

It was a "grand" day at church yesterday.  Why?  Well, for one thing, it was a fairly intimate gathering of mostly local folks.  The familiarity breeds … no, not contempt in this case.  In the case of the church, familiarity breeds love and an intensity of intimacy.  That’s church.  The other reason?  All ten of our grandchildren were in attendance.  Cailyn sang in the praise team, and Caleb even stepped in to run the camera.  What can I say?  Chris was happy.

 

After a lunch of two different roast beasts, we opened gifts all around.  Cailyn told me that mine would be “weird, even for your kind of weird, DadDad.”  I was … sufficiently intrigued.  And when it came my turn, I was indeed in for a surprise.  The three families had coordinated gifts for old DadDad.  First, I opened a turntable.  You know, the kind that plays actual records.  Pretty awesome.  But it got better.  Next came a whole host of LP’s.  Yep, not CD’s or DVD’s.  Actual records they somehow retrieved.  And the list was nothing short of … eclectic.  Everything from The Beach Boys to Gospel hits to Exercise with Jane Fonda.  Can’t wait to try them out.  Well, not so much that last one …

 

Uncle Josh and Uncle Nathan then disappeared with the older kids for a round of air soft battles.  They found a suitable site and let loose.  Sounds like they had a really fun time, although the attack of the monstro-mosquitoes really distracted them.  Meanwhile the younger crew played some games at the wii.  The ladies chatted at the table.  I dozed off and on while watching a football game.  Sorry, no idea who was playing.  Guess I was more on than off on the dozing.  Kel ate pudding pie. 

 

Last night we watched the football game in Green Bay.  Not because we particularly cared about the teams playing.  It’s just fun … to watch (not actually play) … on TV (NOT in person).  Actually, it really is fun to see them attempt to play football in the snow.  It was even more fun when I got a Facebook message from my friend Gary.  He just happened to be visiting his son who lives in Green Bay just around the corner from the football field.  He acknowledged that it was a bit chilly outside up there.  I assured him that it was chilly here, too.  65 degrees.  Coat weather …

 

Psalms 34:4 says, “I sought the Lord and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.”

 

Father, thank you for our Sunday morning church with all the grandkids there.  Keep drawing them all close to you.  Amen.

No comments: