Friday, December 25, 2020

December 25 – “So … Christmas Eve”

So … Christmas Eve.  Of course I had to go to WalMart.  Actually, this year it was an actual, “we need a few things” kind of trip.  Usually I just go to hang out and watch people shop, some frantically, some jovially all Walmart-y.  And I confess … I did do some people-watching.  But this time I added my little 2020 twist.

 

I tried out my new approach to connecting with people.  The one where I say the usual, “Excuse me” or “Hello,” but then quickly add, “I’m smiling under here,” referring, of course to the confounded masks that we are all wearing.  And on occasion I did quickly pull down my mask just for a second to prove I really was.  I got back lots of laughs and a few return smiles, too.  I had to compliment one lady on the way she was able to smile with her eyes.  Amazing.  I met someone who used to work for the fire marshall’s office.  She saw my hat.  Great fun.  Great fun.  Sometimes I just miss people.

 

We had a great crowd at the Christmas Eve service.  I did the “Galveston Christmas” theme this year.  The Praise Team did a great job with filling in the nine Christmas carols we sang.  The starfish, seagull, sand dollar, and catfish all made their appearance (along with their respective poetry).  Linus recited the Christmas story for us.  Laser-cut wooden Christmas ornaments were available for folks to give away as a random act of radical kindness.  And an experience of communion mixed with a passing of candlelight capped off and highlighted the evening.  Everyone seemed to enjoy the service and the chance to just be together with God and each other.  Great day. 

 

Merry Christmas.

 

Isaiah 9:6 says, “For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders.  And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.”

 

Father, thank you for the family experience last night.  It’s great to be surrounded by people who love you.  Amen.

No comments: