Thursday, December 24, 2020

December 24 - “A New Challenge”

A series of heavy rainstorms blew through the Island last night.  That was followed by blustery winds and a drastic drop in temperature.  Wind gusts of 31 miles per hour.  Temperature at 45 degrees or so.  That left the wind chill at … drumroll here … 39 degrees.  Not a pleasant way to start out Christmas Eve.  But at least it gets us in the spirit of Winter.  Maybe it’ll snow later on.  Hey, it’s happened before.  Once.

 

Yesterday was somewhat of a productive day, I suppose.  We spent most of the morning at the AT&T store getting Chris’ new phone all set up.  It was her Christmas present from me, but I couldn’t wait for Christmas.  I wanted her to be able to take pictures when everybody got here on Saturday, and it had to be set up for that to happen.  It was an ordeal, as usual, but I think we got it done.  She has finally left her iPhone 7 behind and moved into the future.  Send her a welcome to 2021 text or something to celebrate.

 

We also made one of those Randall’s runs.  That would be then RX station.  Prescriptions at the pharmacy are ready to be picked up.  I kind of like getting texts from their computer, even if it means spending money on drugs. 

 

Our final excursion of the day was a WalMart run to get some groceries and a few last-minute things for Christmas.  I made a decision.  More of a challenge, actually.  I have been really frustrated that you can’t see anyone’s face with these confounded masks on.  So I started a new approach.  Remember when we used to smile and say “excuse me” when stepping past a fellow shopper?  Now we are relegated to a nod and a muffled, “gahoompty plittle magonstrumstuff.”  Not any more.  I am now going to pause and say, “Hi!  I’m smiling under here,” then quickly pull my mask down for just a second and grin.  I tried it several times at WalMart, and the response was without exception, overwhelmingly positive.  People laughed.  Some pulled down their masks and grinned back.  All were quite pleasant.  I even saw a few Seasiders.  They did more than just smile.  We stopped and chatted for a few minutes.  I’ll see them alter tonight at the Christmas Eve service.  So take my “Let Your Smile Burst Through Your Mask” Challenge, even if you don’t pull the mask down.  Let somebody in on what’s happening beneath its folds.  See how people react. 

 

Matthew 2:10-11 says, “When they saw the star, they were overjoyed.  On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshipped him.  Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh.

 

Father, give us smiles under our masks and ways to let them burst through.  Amen.

No comments: