Wednesday, October 7, 2020

October 7 – “No delivery yet …”

Yesterday I went up to the church to meet the election booth delivery truck.  It was scheduled to arrive at 9 a.m. sharp.  Right.  I texted our scheduler Lauren at 9:30 to see what she might know.  She sent me their phone number.  And, to their credit, I only had to listen to the recording of which number to push to get to “other questions” before actually connecting with a human being.  It didn’t really help.  I explained the predicament.  She did have a reply.  “The truck left the warehouse a little before nine.  I’m not sure where it is now.”  Of course not.

 

I did a search of my books for one particular book I had hoped to use for the teaching on Sunday, but I couldn’t find it.  Guess it was among those Hurricane Ike ate.  No delivery yet.  I went upstairs and retrieved some stuff Chris needed from the storage room.  No delivery yet.  I read in my book.  Nope.  I’m pretty sure I fell asleep for a while, but I have no way of confirming that. No one woke me up, so no delivery.  I texted back and forth with Chris.  No delivery.  I did my daily back stretches … on a table.  That felt sort of … empowering.  But no delivery.  I went across the street to get some lunch at the food truck.  They weren’t open yet, so I came back to the church.  Nope, no delivery.  Returned to the food truck and got my lunch.  Back again.  Nope. 

 

The 9 a.m. delivery finally arrived at 1:15 p.m.  Rolled one little cart into the building and were on their way.  A lady who drove up in her car next to the truck approached me and asked … something.  I couldn’t understand her because of the mask she was wearing.  She tried a few times, and then reached up to pull it down.  Sadly, however, she only uncovered her nose.  She did increase her volume, though, so I was able to piece together what she was saying.  She was asking me if the election judge was there.  I apologized for just being the pastor.  She seemed a little put out, but, hey, what are you gonna do?  She sighed and said she supposed the judge would take care of setup when he came back on Thursday or Friday.  Hmm.  Hope they let us know about that.

 

Psalms 59:16 says, “But I will sing of your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for you are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble.”

 

Father, please be with those delivery guys and in particular that lady, whoever she was.  Her job must be frustrating.  Amen.

No comments: