Saturday, October 10, 2020

October 10 – “Into the storm”

Chris was blessed with the opportunity yesterday to drive across the Island to the East End for a doctor’s appointment.  Into the storm.  She had to do some more discussing and tweaking of her high blood pressure issues.  And just as she started out the door, another rain band from Hurricane Delta swept through the neighborhood.  We had 48-60 mile and hour gusts, and lots of homes around the city were without power for hours.  Great.  As it turned out she didn’t get too wet.  The appointment went fine.  As she thought, there was some tweaking, but no real surprises.  But the drive there and back …

 

Fortunately, she didn’t take the route she usually does.  The road going that way was flooded in several spots.  I talked her into taking the seawall.  Actually, I just wanted a report of what the water looked like.  She was impressed enough to take me on a little drive when she got back.  I was giddy.  I really did want to see the water for myself.  Just the Galveston little boy in me, I guess.  It’s what you do when there is a storm out there.  We had some prescriptions to pick up at Randall’s anyway, so we stopped along the way and took some pictures.  Let’s just say the water was more than a little angry-looking. 

 

We made it to Randall’s without incident.  As I was entering the store, my phone rang.  It was Jenna from the fire department office letting me know that department pictures were being taken on Monday.  I agreed to be there and continued over to the pharmacy.  And as I approached the counter, I realized I had done the unthinkable.  I had walked through the entire store … without putting on my mask.  The wind and rain and phone call distraction was just enough to throw me off my masking game.  I had it in my pocket, though, so I apologized to no one in particular and slipped it on. 

 

The surprise event of the day, however, came as I was approaching the door to leave.  An older guy in a World War II veteran’s hat was leaving as well.  He looked at me for a long moment, then must have decided I was safe.  He then spoke to me, totally out of the blue, with this random tidbit:

“They asked Biden what he thought of Beirut.  He answered, ‘I don’t think he was near as good as Hank Aaron.’”

For you long-time baseball fans out there, forget the politics … That is really funny.

 

Micah 6:8 says, “He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.  And what does the Lord require of you?  To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.”

 

Father, please walk with the folks who had to undergo the hurricane yesterday.  Help them as they begin – or continue – their rebuilding process.  Amen.

No comments: