Saturday, July 4, 2020

July 4 – “That Day”


Yep.  It’s that day again.  I just hung out our American flag from the front porch.  No wild ranting or insane calls to riot or defeated muttering. 

A symbol of sacrifice … I appreciate what my Dad and so many others did when they served in the armed forces over the years. 

A symbol of hope … I recognize the surge in anticipation that must have overwhelmed my ancestors as they stood on the precipice of their dreams. 

A symbol of commitment to lofty ideals … ideals that once seemed pie-in-the-sky and are now taken for granted and are often threatened to be trampled upon.

A symbol of assurance … that I can attend church tomorrow and worship God as he draws me toward himself.

And yet the flag still waves.  In front of my house.  And my neighbors’.  Atop the graves of those who died in service to the country.  At school assemblies.  In giant form over used car lots.  Even in those houses being restored on home renovation TV shows.

Just a simple, silent statement that I am grateful to be … here.

James 1:17 says, “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.”

Father, thank you for the incredible gift of the country I live in.  Please, be the guiding force behind its leaders.  And watch over us simple citizens, too.  Amen.

No comments: