Tuesday, July 28, 2020

July 28 – “A glimpse into weirdness …”


I took notes throughout the day yesterday of my incredibly full experience.  Allow me to share:
Took a walk.
Did my usual Monday workload for church.
Finished a puzzle.
Watched the Astros.

That’s it.  Doesn’t seem like a lot to work with, does it?  So what could I possibly add to make it more exciting?  Let’s see …
On our walk we ran into some pirates, wearing their eye patches and “aaarrr-ing” at whoever happened to pass their way.  They brandished a cutlass or two at us, but with our normal high powered walking speed we managed to out-pace them.  Too much grog on their parts, I suppose.

There is not much to add to the “usual workload” comment, or it wouldn’t fall into the “usual workload” category any more.  So what’s involved, you may ask?  Probably the most difficult part is having to break open the massive file cabinets surrounding my desk.  Yes, it’s true.  I still have – and actively use – those remnants of a long-past past.  File drawers that must be opened with care to avoid the hidden booby traps installed all those years ago when a certain secret agency was the owner and operator of said devices.  I have had them long enough, though, that the “work accidents” have dwindled to a minimum.  Now I rarely have to deal with errant gunshots.  I haven’t heard an explosion in years, and I only occasionally have to deal with cut hands from the assorted hidden knife traps or bruises from the auto-close feature that has a way of trapping fingers.  The copy machine has been replaced, so I no longer have to get security clearance to use it.  And the laptop I use is so old I can no longer see the letters H and N, and only half of the A and M.  I figure I should be safe there.

Finishing the puzzle is one of the pasttimes that is generally required in the early years of setting up a household.  Except then the puzzle was usually figuring out how to put together a bed or a bookcase, or how to set up a new TV, or getting a Christmas present put together in the middle of the night.  Now it serves an entirely different purpose.  Now the simple jigsaw puzzle is actually one of the few means of communication between the old brain and the unseen interlopers from the planet Alz.  Completion of a puzzle serves to fend off the aliens temporarily.  It’s tough work, but it is way more effective than the ray guns we were initially issued.

And finally there are the Astros.  I’ve been a fan since they entered the league and they provided a means of escape for a ragged little ten-year-old who always thought Mickey Mantle got cheated out of his home run title by Roger Maris.  And it wasn’t until many years later that I found out Maris might actually have been a visitor from the future using a corked bat that had been scientifically designed to transfer three times more power to the bat’s sweet spot than those existing at the time.  Totally unfair.  But all that to say … it was an easy transition for me to get away from the foreign affairs going on in far-off New York and transfer my allegiance to the almost-hometown boys.  Oh … and they won.  Three out of four from the Mariners.  Sounds great, but the Mariners are the worst team in baseball.  Should have been a sweep. 

So there’s a look at my boring day.  Glad to have you visit inside my head for a bit.  Be happy you don’t have to live in there …

Proverbs 4:23 says, “Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.”

Father, thank you for quiet days where I can commune with you and the weirdness inside my head.  Both are quite fun.  Amen.

No comments: