Wednesday, July 15, 2020

July 15 – “The Cool Old Guy”


The other day when Chris went in for her doctor appointment, she noticed an older man in front of her.  She dutifully stopped at her designated yellow line of six-foot demarcation and watched the human drama that was about to unfold.

The old guy (OG from here on) was walking with a cane and either had hearing problems as well, or was hoping that others would think he did (Not that I would have any experience with the latter, but I completely understand the former).  When the COVID screener (CS from here on) finally got his attention, he returned to the front desk to hear the inevitable and now-dreaded Corona Questions. 

Before getting into the Corona Challenge, however, the attendant innocently asked him who he was here to see.  He responded with the proper name of a doctor who did indeed office in the clinic.  The next question, however, proved a bit more challenging.  “What time is your appointment?”
He responded in typical Cool OG fashion, “I don’t know.  Eight?  Eight-ten?  It was early.  I know that.” 

Patiently the CS ran his name and birthdate through the system.  There he was. 
“I’m sorry, sir, but your appointment is not until Wednesday.”
Visibly shaken, he countered, “Oh no.  That will not do.  I can’t be here on Wednesday.  I need you to change that so I can be seen this morning.”
Unfazed by the impossible request, and not having the authority to make such changes anyway, CS came up with a solution.  “Are you going home now?  If you will head home right away, I will have the nurse call you, and she will talk with you about rescheduling the appointment.” 

Sadly and with slumped shoulders, Cool Old Guy turned to leave.  As he passed by Chris and glanced up at her, she was able to see clearly his anti-Covid mask.  On it had been scrawled, “Jesus help me.”  You and me both, my friend.  You and me both.

Hebrews 4:16 says, “Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.”

Father, please be with Cool Old Guy at his appointment today.  Help him to be happy.  Amen.

No comments: