Thursday, January 3, 2019

January 3 – “Philadelphia Yankee world”


I remember the days when on January 3rd we already knew what college football team was national champion (well, at least who was ranked number one).  Basketball was well under way.  And of course we were one month closer to the Holy Grail of all sporting events … Baseball Spring Training.  Now we have four more days to wait and another “prime time” national event football game to watch.  Much (Although certainly not all) of college basketball is looking suspiciously like whatever that game is the professionals play (It is NOT basketball).  The clock IS still ticking toward Spring Training though.  There is that …

It is rainy and cold here.  Around 50 degrees.  Galveston’s dead of winter.  Miserable. 

I had a surgeon appointment yesterday.  It was an extra one so she could re-check the incision again.  Making sure there is no infection.  All looked good, but I still have to go back next week as well.  Something about six weeks post surgery being a magical number …

We did do something on the way home that I have never done before.  Do I need a drumroll here?  We stopped at one of the newer places on the Seawall to get a bit of lunch.  Not so unusual in itself, but what we ordered was.  The name of the place is Texadelphia.  Kind of a weird hybrid Yankee-ism trying to appeal to Texans, it sounded like to me.  But our purpose was one thing only … to try a Philly cheese steak.  I have never done that in my storied career.  Apparently neither has Chris.  She googled it during my appointment to see what to expect, so she had a head start on stomach preparations.  Hers was some kind of flatbread chicken thing.  I went for the traditional, store owner’s favorite (Well, except I canceled the jalepenos).  Whatever was left on there turned out to be pretty good, though.  I think I would even go back again … on purpose.  Guess I am now a man of the world … the Philadelphia Yankee world.

Psalms 121:4 says, “He will not let your foot slip — he who watches over you will not slumber”

Father, thank you for new experiences.  They can be really exciting.  Bring them on.  Amen.

No comments: